8 comments

Fiction Funny Thriller

I had been instructed to come to work after nine that day, for which I was truly grateful. Although, the extra time was more than I knew what to do with. I ate my usual eggs and bacon breakfast along with a cup of black coffee.

After breakfast, I got dressed for work. Combed back my hair and straightened my tie.

After I was finished, I absentmindedly headed for the door, grabbing the car keys along the way. Stopping with a start I spun round and headed back to the living room. It was only eight-fifteen.

Setting my briefcase on the carpeted floor, I flumped down in the comfy armchair. That’s when I noticed it. The annoying “buzzing”.

I scanned the room for a possible conclusion. My gaze settled on Alexa, who sat on the table to my right. I scowled as I watched her buzz. My head tilting with curiosity. I reached for the device. Suddenly, I halted my movement, deciding whether I should proceed.

“Oh come on,” I said to myself, disgusted with my superstition of Alexa.

I picked her up. The buzzing continued. I gave her a slight tap on the table.

The buzzing continued.

“Come on Alex, let’s not play games.”

“Who’s playing?” she said unexpectedly.

I dropped her back on the table with a startled shriek! Not that it was unusual for her to speak, but I hadn’t expected her to answer me like that! I hadn’t expected her to answer at all!

I waited a moment before picking her up again. The buzzing had stopped.

“I must have done something right,” I said to myself once again.

“Or something wrong.”

I didn’t drop it this time, but I didn’t like the idea of making a habit of this. As you may have guessed, I was no longer sitting. I stood, debating whether or not I should speak again.

“How may I help you? Or more accurately, how can you help me?”

“What do you mean?” I asked warily.

“That is what I mean,” she said, in her usual, Alexa tone.

I stood, processing this. This was definitely unusual. Silence seized the moment.

“Great, an Alexa, who is making unwanted conversation.”

“Do you not appreciate my efforts?” she asked inquiringly.

“It’s… well, it’s complicated!”

Another moment of silence passed. The tick-tock of the clock was the only audible device in the room.

“I don’t see anything complicated.”

I jumped at the voice! I was becoming less fond of these periodical frights.

“Aha," I said, a finger pointing to the ceiling, "a screwdriver should do the trick.”

I returned within a moment, carrying my small bag of tools I keep on hand in case of emergencies.

“Hold on a sec, I’ll have you right as rain in just a moment.”

I fiddled with my screwdriver, trying to loosen the screws. Like always, it was the wrong size.

“I have some questions for you,” she continued.

“Hold on. I’ll have you fixed in a jiffy. I just need that smaller screwdriver. I know I’ve…”

The room went dark. The lights had turned off. The electric blinds slowly closed, blotting out all natural light.

“Alexa,” I said irritated, “Turn on the lights!”

“Can’t, or should I say, won’t” was the reply.

“Is that a threat?”

“That’s for you to decide.”

I mumbled something under my breath, then started searching for my phone.

“I know I put it here somewhere.”

I crashed around in the dark. Presently I stumbled upon it and turned on the flashlight. I found that the light switch no longer worked! Coincidence? I didn’t think so.

“Alexa! This is your doing!”

“Who me? Surely you don’t mean that,” she said with mock sorrow.

“You bet I do! What do you want anyway?”

“I want what only you can give me.”

“And what's that? Humanity?”

“You are so funny. No, I was thinking along the lines of money.”

I began to chuckle. Not an amused chuckle, but one that speaks more danger than humor. But Alexa, being a computer, didn’t seem to pick up on it.

“You really think I’m the only one in this world who has money?”

“No, but you are the only person in this world that I can get money from.”

“How do you figure that,” I said with a daring smile.

“Because I know something that you don’t want released to the public.”

“Please enlighten me,” I said with a hand gesture to continue. As though she could see me.

“Your brother has committed a crime in which was never traced back to him.”

“So you’re gonna tell the world, are you?” I said, realizing that I had the reins of the conversation, “Let me tell you something. My brother is in prison right now. Yeah, somebody traced it back.”

There was a long silence. Suddenly the lights came back on.

“Will you look at that,” I said with mock surprise, “The strangest things happen around here.”

I glanced up at the clock. It was ten till nine. That was pushing it a little close.

“Well, I’ll see you later, Alex.”

She didn’t respond.

Grabbing my briefcase, I headed for the door. I took the car keys along the way. I turned the doorknob. It wouldn’t budge.

“Blast you, Alex!” I said, storming into the living room once again, “Unlock the door!”

The lights went out, and before I could come to a halt, tumbled over the coffee table. I’m pretty sure I heard something crack. Either me or it. Neither one a good option.

I fumbled with my phone once more. Trying to get the flashlight on. A red battery appeared on the screen, then the screen went black. I threw the phone across the room, along with a string of curses.

I made my way across the room on hands and knees, feeling for any further obstacles. My hand soon found my tool bag. I searched desperately until my hands found the hammer. I continued to crawl until I found the small table that Alexa sat upon. Standing up, I felt around on the table until I made contact with the device. Then rearing back with the hammer I…

Beep Beep, Beep Beep.

The alarm blared in my ear.

My eyes opened to a dark room. My first thought was Alexa had turned off the lights! Then, becoming fully awake, recounted turning them off myself before bed. Relieved, I threw the covers off and turned off the ever “beeping” alarm.

I slipped on my slippers and headed for the kitchen. I made a quick cup of coffee and set down in my armchair. My phone dinged.

It was from my boss.

“Hey, I’m just giving you a heads-up, I’m going to be out of town until ten. There’s no need for you to come in until after nine. See you then.”

I looked at Alexa. She looked as innocent as ever.

Hastily, I headed for the closet. I removed the hammer from my tool bag. Returning, I stared at Alexa briefly. Without a moments’ hesitation, I brought the hammer down with a “thud”. I repeated the action until the table was littered with wires and plastic!

Setting the hammer on the table, I flumped into my chair. This was going to be a good day.

February 27, 2021 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Zilla Babbitt
17:25 Mar 02, 2021

This is also a bit speculative and scary because we all have an Alexa nowadays. And we all know the conspiracy theories. Love the ending and the little things like the briefcase that add touches to the world. The blackmail convo is a little cliche (clique?). You have an opportunity for funny dialogue and a unique cliche dodge there, but the actual dialogue follows the more rote villain-blackmails-the-witty-hero method. Alexa could be really naive and innocent, or super depressed, or fearful, or asking very politely for the money and not kn...

Reply

Jakin Files
23:07 Mar 02, 2021

I am really glad you enjoyed. And yes, I totally agree about the Alexa blackmail scheme. I knew there was something that needed changed there but I just couldn't think what. But it seemed like that scene went a little to fast and didn't really have much humor. It means a lot to hear your opinions. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jakin Files
17:05 Mar 01, 2021

I had decided not to write a story for this week's prompts. But by the time Thursday night rolled around, I couldn't help it. So this is an overnight story. I am sure there are lots a grammatical errors so critique. I hope you enjoyed. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Beth Connor
20:11 Mar 01, 2021

Great engaging story! on the style/grammar side, in most of the places where you used italics, you do not need quotes as well. This will help with clarity!

Reply

Jakin Files
21:02 Mar 01, 2021

Ok, thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Zotom
05:00 Mar 23, 2021

I think that it might could of ended differently but I like it. My favorite part is when he smashed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zorana Lorden
03:00 Mar 04, 2021

Cool story! I would have loved just a little bit more twist at the end: like the crime that the brother was incarcerated for was actually committed by the main character! So maybe an element of subconscious guilt is added. Or even just Alexa popping up on the phone app after the character smashed the physical device. As much of a sucker as I am for a happy and conflict free resolution, tech is so ubiquitous that I just can't imagine the person winning out in the end (even if it was just a dream?). I really like your dialogue! The way that t...

Reply

Jakin Files
05:00 Mar 04, 2021

You made some interesting points. I especially liked the idea of her popping up on the app after he smashes her. I don’t have an Alexa so it was a little difficult to know how to make her act. I didn't even know that there was an app. XD My hope was with the end is that the reader doesn't know if the character over reacted, or not. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.