0 comments

Drama Romance Science Fiction

The endless drought continued. It had been over 900 years, without a drop of rain on planet Earth. The thirsty land was cracked and dry as far as the eye could see. It sucked up the heat of the sun and regurgitated it back into the air, which was as dry as tinder. All vegetation had been incinerated years ago. Mathew Bishop's lungs burned, as he breathed in the super heated air. That was the cue to replace the H20 tanks from the artificial atmosphere machine. Otherwise known as the AAM. 


The AAM, modified the air in the cab of the vehicle he was driving. To put it in laymen's terms, the machine made the air cool, moist, and comfortable to breathe. A sort of glorified air conditioner; as air without a hint of moisture, dried out the lungs, making them sticky. Sticky lungs would collapse; causing a quick and painful death. He grimaced. Not fun.


He pulled over to the side of the dirt road and put on his rebreather mask, which would recycle the moisture from his lungs, when he exhaled. The mask was designed for very short stints outside of the safety zone, of the cab’s artificial climate. He also had to put on his sun goggles, so that the ultra violate radiation, of the thin atmosphere, wouldn’t fry his retinas. 


The modified engine worked on solar power. Non existent clouds could never block the solar units from gathering a sufficient charge; as they had in the old days. In historical weather studies, at the university he had attended, he had learned that people used to watch clouds form shapes in the sky. They wrote stories, poetry and songs, about these mysterious whisps of water vapor. Mathew had never seen a cloud. Today there were only three kinds of weather; hot, hotter and dead.


With a little elbow grease, he switched out the metal canisters from the outside front compartment of the engine, and replaced them with the ones from the H2O machine in the rear. Once he was back in the cab, he waited for the air exchanger to complete its cycle, then continued driving.


He had travelled in his modified range rover, across an ocean of desert, to find a place that had been called by many names over the years. One such name was; the “Last Oasis” or the “Oasis of Life”. Supposedly this legendary place, was the last green space on earth. A place that was, according to the legends, located somewhere in the ancient land of Mesopotamia. Some called it "Utopia", others, the "Garden of Eden". The legend had it that this lost paradise, was created by the one true God, especially for human kind; but the first man and woman had angered God, so they were banished forever.


The Genesis Group, a radical, faith-based conglomerate, comprised of many old religions; claimed it was a place touched by the “finger of God”. They believed that they were all destined to return, in time, to their "real home" in Eden. In the ancient biblical text, located in the university museum, it claimed that God had placed warrior angels, with flaming swords, at the entrance of the garden to keep interlopers out.


Mathew’s Rover was filled with equipment for performing tests, in the hopes of isolating the cause of the drought. If the forefathers had known what really happened to precipitate the domino effect of climate change, they weren’t saying, or rather, they were just plain lying. History said they had even tried to blame the cows. As if! In the end it didn't matter what they tried, nothing stopped the burn of earths atmosphere. Perhaps it was arrogant of him to think that one man could make a difference, when so many others had tried and failed.


Mathew wasn’t sure what he believed any more; but he hoped to see this miraculous wonder, if it really existed, with his own eyes. What would it mean to their world to find this “Last Oasis?” Of course most people didn't believe such a place existed anymore. “It’s all hogwash” his professors said, "religious twaddle" others said. There was however, a remnant, like his father and grandfather, who still held to the old stories. Most people thought they were insane. The old religions were no longer respected in the world of today. He could remember the taunts of the Kids at school, who teased him mercilessly for telling “Crazy stories”. Even now, the climate scientists at the University ridiculed him for "chasing fairy tales”, instead of pursuing “real science”, such as that of the faction for terra forming. Still many other "respected" scientists, held the opinion that it was hopeless to try to figure things out “above”, and that they needed to focus on the “below”. A large portion of earth’s population had died, in the never ending drought. Most of those who had survived, had done so in the bio domes above; or because they had gone to the under ground "below".


Far beneath the earths crust, there was still a large supply of clean water. They had built climate-controlled "life pods" below ground, that produced their own moisture via condensation, just like massive terrariums. The people below diligently recycled all water, and wasted nothing. There was even an underground ocean; though it was forbidden to the general population, including him; it was protected religiously.


There was no industry below; only food production, cloth weaving and basic tool making. Only the things that were necessary for life were allowed. Some artifacts from the old world were put into use, but anything that could pollute the air or the water was forbidden. There was no oil extraction, no plastic products, especially since oil acted as an insulator against the heat from earths core. There were very few luxuries. Animals, which were almost completely extinct, were very highly prized as exotic pets.


There were also a few tribes of people that lived out in the open, in the above; however, they were genetically altered. People of African descent fared best above, in the "au naturel". People like Mathew and his family. Evolution had favored them it seemed, with the DNA for survival, in this cruel landscape. Science had built on that DNA; cloning the smartest, and the strongest, creating a race of super humans. Even Still, they had to use technology to survive. They had many kinds of mechanical body mods, along with their air/water extraction units, which took moisture out of the air for drinking. Re-breather masks, that filtered and moistened the air they took in. They grew their food with hydroponics, using recycled urine for their water supply. If you asked him? it tasted better than it sounded. Together the three factions traded what they needed to live. However, as in any society, there was a thriving black market; if you knew where to find it. A source of supply even Mathew had used at various times.


Yes the human race had survived. However, it wasn't enough for him. He wanted...nay, he longed to see; rain, oceans, lakes, ponds, and streams. He wanted to see clouds. It was an insatiable hunger within him, that drove him ever onward. All his life he had heard the stories of the old world, as told by the elders of his tribe, and he yearned to experience what the ancients had taken for granted.


Recently, his beloved father, Marcus Bishop, had passed away. His Father had left him a priceless artifact in his will. An heirloom that was said to point the way to Eden. Marcus Bishop, was still considered a young man, especially by clone standards. Clones usually lived around 200-300 years or more. Both of Mathews parents were clones, though he himself, as the offspring of two clones, was known as a “pure blood descendant” a position many envied. His father's cause of death was uncertain at this time. The autopsy had proven nothing significant was wrong; except that a completely healthy man, with a "perfect heart", had died of an acute myocardial infarction. It bespoke foul play; but there was no evidence to back up that conclusion. The coroner, who was a friend of the family, warned Mathew to watch his back. Unscrupulous people, wanted the knowledge that his father had kept a secret for so long. They were willing to kill to get it, but was Mathew willing to die for it?


Mathew had always believed in the tales that his father and grandfather had spun. However, the last few years at university had really discouraged him. He wasn’t sure at this point, if he had set out on this mission to fix the world? or to prove the existence of Eden, in order to demonstrate that his family wasn’t crazy after all; for believing in something bigger than themselves. At his father’s funeral, His mother had given him a small wooden box, one that had been passed down from father to son, for generations. “It was your fathers wish that you should have this” His mother said. “I hope it brings you more enlightenment than it did him” She said sadly as she laid her head on his shoulder.


On the inside of the box there was a journal that had belonged to his grandfather. A golden compass and a stop watch; they both appeared to be broken. There was also what looked to be several unknown objects. Before his death, his Father had gone to speak to a member of the Genesis Group, who said he could help Marcus Bishop solve the riddle of the compass. He claimed to know who had made it, and what its purpose was. His father, however, hadn't shared the name of his contact, a person who probably could have shed some light on the situation. It was too bad Mathew didn't know who this mysterious person was.


Before his death, Marcus had told Mathew that he had been dreaming about a beautiful land, unlike any he had ever seen. Marcus believed the land was Eden, the Oasis of life, and that it was their families destiny to find it. One night Marcus had called him and told him excitedly, that according to the research he had done, all things pointed to the location of Eden being in Syria, in the land of Mesopotamia. Then he whispered. “I think there is someone here in my office". The line went dead. That was the last time he spoke with his Dad. It wasn’t long after that they found Marcus Bishop's body in his ransacked office.


Of late Mathew had been having similar dreams as his father. They were growing more vivid all the time; ever since he had received the box. Somehow he knew the compass and the watch were the key to finding Eden, but no one new how to repair them; So what was he missing?. He stubbornly refused to give up. It had taken Mathew over a year to prepare for the journey to the far continent of Mesopotamia; to put together the funding and the equipment. 


Mathew was planning to take one more stab at fixing the items from the box that time had forgotten. He had a friend, who was going to meet him in the ruins of Old Egypt. She was a techno clone, whom he had met at university. She was also a member of the Genesis Group, and a "true believer". He smiled. If anyone could mend those antique devices, it was her. Her abilities were almost legendary in clone society.


A dust storm was forming behind Mathew, as he sped towards the above ground colony. It was located in the largest pyramid in Old Egypt, and had once been known as one of the "seven wonders of the world". He increased his speed, hoping to out run the massive disturbance on his heels. If he couldn’t, he would be forced to stop until it passed over. He didn’t think the rovers GPS could navigate through such severe conditions.


He arrived at the doorstep of the great pyramid, with the sand licking at his backside. He tethered the land rover. It was unlikely that the storm would reach gale force sufficient to blow the vehicle away, but it wasn’t worth taking the risk. He burst through the massive, heavy metal door, the strong wind whipping at his legs, and flinging him to the ground, like a twig. He picked himself up and threw all his considerable might into closing the doors, then dusted himself off. Sand had gotten into places that sand should never be. He grimaced.


The stone structure was amazingly cool inside, and there was a steady, pleasant hum from the mechanical air purifiers. Distantly, down the narrow corridors, he could hear the strains of rhythmic music. There was no guard on duty, nor was there likely to be. You had to be crazy, or stupid, to come into the stronghold of a group of super humans with ill intent.


He followed the sound of the drums. His anticipation rising as he went. He found his friend, Margo, in the main hall; dancing together with many others. His heart was thumping madly in his chest; was it louder than the music he wondered? Could she hear him with her superior auditory processing? He had always found Margo irresistibly attractive. They had had a short fling at university, only breaking it off because the intensity of their mutual passion, had begun to interfere with their studies. Margo saw him and walked over to where he was standing, like a wallflower, at the edge of the dance floor. Waiting for her alone. They hadn’t seen each other in forever, both of them going where their careers had taken them. Now it felt as if time was reversing itself.


He felt the years fade away as Margo, slipped into the circle of his arms; just like she had slipped into his heart, all those years ago. She kissed him deeply. She was an African Princess, with ebony skin; a goddess in a white gown. Their embrace lasted an eternity, as though they had never been parted. At last she pulled back looking deeply into his eyes. Neither of them was self conscious. It was natural to be attracted to perfection. They had been bred for this purpose. They were made for each other, made to proliferate the human race.


“You are even more beautiful than I remember” he said earnestly. She smiled radiantly. “You have a toy for me?” she said with a laugh. “A Puzzle to solve?” she looked at him quizzically.


They retired to her room, and he pulled out the little brown box from his pack. She looked at the contents without touching them for a long time. Then with an intense look on her lovely features, she began to put the pieces together, like a jigsaw puzzle. The miscellaneous items formed a stand, that sat inside the wooden box. The stop watch, she took apart at the back, and attached the compass to it. It clicked into place perfectly. The two pieces were then placed in a standing position, in the middle of the miniature platform. At last she wound up the watch and stood back. The hands began to spin counter clockwise to each other. The newly formed center piece, comprised of the compass and the watch, had formed an ornament. Music began to play. It sounded like the voices, of what he imagined angels to sound like. The whole device resembled a small music box. Around them the old world began to fade, and a new world began to take shape. Time and space seemed to shift.


There was a sea of green grass and trees that towered high above them. Mountains appeared in the distance, with snow capped peaks. Fluffy white clouds scooted across an azure sky. The device was a transporter! No one could find the location of this terrestrial paradise, known as the "Oasis of Life", because everyone had been looking for X marks the spot. But there was no X. There was no fixed location. His Father had been wrong about that. Mathew was Euphoric. They had figured it out. She had figured it out. His Queen.


Together they walked hand in hand, in awe. There were rabbits, and deer, roaming the woods. Bald eagles flew overhead. They saw a large white stag with a set of massive antlers. There were huge cats, and little foxes, and tiny birds, that twittered and sang, and nothing by any means harmed them. They were surrounded by lush flowers of every color and sort. There were many species besides, that they did not recognize. The names of the animals having been lost, in the annals of time. Mathew new it was the place from his dreams. It was real and he was humbled beyond belief to be the first to see it, after generations of exile.


Mathew and Margo lay down together on the cool, soft green grass, beside a pool of still, clear water and made love. They were naked and were not ashamed. Hours passed, hardly noticed. Above them, the clouds began to form into a larger mass of cumulonimbus clouds, and they grew darker. Cold wet drops fell from the sky. They were astonished at the feeling of rain on their skin for the first time, lifting up their faces and laughing with joy. 


“Should we go back?” he asked her, though he didn’t want to. 

“Nay” she said, snuggling closer into his warmth. “Let this moment last a little longer”.

He wished it could last forever. Together they danced once more, the dance of love. Their hearts and limbs perfectly entwined, moving to the rhythm of the rain. All of Eden looked on in approval; at long last the humans had returned to the place of their birth. Their long journey had finally led them home.



August 23, 2022 10:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.