0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

.The city has its good side and its bad side. Kravan belonged to the latter. The good side was the mayor Marge who was constantly trying to change the city’s neighbourhood for the better. Kravan was the head of a mafia which was running rackets like smuggling, extortion and so on. He was about 40, was short, dark, bald, and had a bloated body. The only thing people initially noticed about him was his genial smile beneath his massive moustache which masked his real self. That morning, as he was at his desk, Riki dropped in. She was probably the only person who could walk into Kravan’s house any time: Others would be screened by security. Riki was about 35, was dark, tall and well-built. She wore trousers with a flowered top.

Kravan said “Haven’t seen you Riki in days.”

Riki said “Let’s cut out formal talk. I’ve come on a business mission. I want to open a chain of massage parlours in key suburbs of our city. These would be the normal ones. Only I’ve justified their existence to health concerns of people, men for men, and women for women, kind of bullshit. I know that damned woman who is mayor will veto it.”

“Good. Where do I come in?”

Riki said “I’ll come to it. I’ve a project report titled Magic Fingers which will give details. I’ve plenty of staff including Churi who has worked in Thailand. She’ll be manager of the operation and will train staff where necessary. I’ll give you money for protection against violence, blackmail etc. You’ll find my offer attractive.”

“That would be at a later stage. Have I something to do at the outset?”

“Get that wretched mayor to allow me to operate.” She got a phone call and said “I’ve to go.”

She walked out after leaving a copy of her project report for his perusal. After she had left Kravan quickly studied the report and then looked into the list of his allies. He found Jasmin who was close to the Mayor and calling her said “Jasmin I need your help.” He told her about Riki’s project and said “You must get the mayor Marge to approve. You’ll get your usual cut.”

“It must be much more than usual as it’s very difficult to convince Marge on such projects. Where it’s controversial she might call for voting by the governing council members.”

“Don’t give me that crap. Do your best and you’ll be suitably rewarded.”

The meeting of the governing council was called and 40 of the 48 attended. 8 were absent for various reasons. Various issues were discussed and then came the Magic Fingers project. Marge said ”I’ve my own opinion about the project but I’ll abide by the Council’s collective verdict.”

Jasmin said “It’s mainly to improve the health of the people based on the Japanese model. Councillors have all been given a copy of the project report. Riki who is well known is the sponsor.”

The portly Mrs.Wang who was over 40 said “Of course we all know about Riki and her reputation. She’s a lawyer no doubt but has never practised. One can’t forget the death of Salome said to have been caused by Riki. It was said the film star had come close to her husband. Riki is known to have mafia contacts.”

Marge said “Mrs.Wang I won’t have councillors discussing personal lives of people. Many could’ve changed. I mean reformed. I find from the project report that Riki’s objective is to improve the health of the people. She has promised employment to various categories of people. She will attend to the needs of the poor: Women particularly, who’ll be treated free.”

Mrs.Wang said “Sorry to intervene madam. I’ll say women don’t need magic fingers.”

Jasmin said “Madam Wang speak for yourself. I for one may need therapeutic help of the type offered by Riki at some later stage in life.”

Mrs.Wang said “I fear allowing this kind of operation will result in.......”

Jasmin said “Let me interrupt you Mrs.Wang. You’re known to be an extremist and have never been positive in outlook. If I don’t intervene you’re likely to say that this project will cause traffic in women.”

Marge said “Jasmin, we all know you’re a fighter for women’s rights but you can’t stop Mrs.Wang from speaking out.”

Mrs.Wang said “Let us hear what others have to say.”

Marge said “I can see Father Jerome wants to speak. Speak out Father.”

Father Jerome said “I’ve been in countries where such parlours have been allowed. As long as they’re for health, people tolerate them. Of course there’re certain countries and tourist destinations which are exceptions.

Jasmin said “Father, well said.”

Jerome continued “I know that if scientifically trained staff is not used there is odium towards the operation.”

Jasmin said “Father this proposal by Riki says that Churi will be head of operations. She will train staff.”

Father Jerome said “I’ve heard of Churi. They said she was .....”

Jasmin said “Sorry to interrupt Father. Please don’t rely on rumours. Churi started her career in Thailand and then was trained in China. She has even ghost written a book of her experiences which has sold well.”

Mrs.Wang said “I won’t read her book and I won’t allow her magic fingers to handle me or my husband if the project is approved.” She paused and said “Churi isn’t one of our nationals. She’ll have to leave once her visa closes.”

Jasmin said “Churi can go when Riki or someone else picked by her will run Magic Fingers. If properly handled by experienced people the project will improve the health of the people which is our prime concern. We know the drug which can kill pain can be misused by addicts. It all depends on our objective.”

Father Jerome said “If we allow Magic Fingers to be established I’ve a fear there could be a rise in crime as well as blackmailing.”

Jasmin said “Reverend Father police are there to handle such cases. The project will give a boost to employment. It also envisages a large number of tourists from neighbouring countries coming needing the service of Magic Fingers. Our fame as a medical destination would get a boost. Our revenue and foreign exchange earnings would increase.”

Mrs.Wang said “I can only hear some reps talking about the advantages of allowing Magic Fingers. Let others also speak.”

“I’m citizen Dorji  an ex-Tibetan settled here. I’m a monk. Magic Fingers deserves to be favourably considered just as Tibetan medicine has been accepted in this country.”

Mrs.Wang said “Monks don’t understand women. His view shouldn’t be considered.”

Marge said “The debate so far has been mostly between Jasmin and Mrs.Wang . The others seem to be quiet or apparently undecided. We should get everyone’s opinion on allowing Magic Fingers. A decision by ballot is called for.”

Jasmin said “There’re more male members in our council who may not want to take sides due to pressure from the wives. As Mayor suggests a secret ballot will decide.”

The Mayor said “Our strength is 48, 13 women and 35 men. 8 are absent. Let us see the result of the vote.”

There was an intermission when tea and snacks were served after which the voting took place. In the end the Mayor was given the result which she announced: “Fellow councillors, the result of voting is as follows: For allowing Magic Fingers: 20. For not allowing the project: 20. The council is equally divided. I’m not casting my vote. I suggest we adjourn and take up the issue at the next meeting.”

The Mayor said “Jasmin, you have done a good job. I’m sure you’ll succeed next time.”

Kravan called up Jasmin and said “You’ve done well. The first instalment of payment will reach you tomorrow morning. That should help you carry the case further at the next meeting.”

END

March 15, 2021 10:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.