It all started with a kiss

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Teens & Young Adult

Mia’s POV

 "Ok I'll do it."

I grabbed her face, pulling it towards mine. She gave in and pressed her lips directly against mine. The sensation was amazing, I felt like I was flying. Like we're lifting up from the ground and floating on a cloud. My hands went to the back of her head and tangled into her hair. She pressed her body against mine and I felt her hands run up and down my back pulling me closer. 

“Okay, that's enough,” Dylan said, both of us pulled back quickly.  Crimson laced my cheeks and she looked away, we were both clearly embarrassed. As Dylan pulled his girlfriend back into his lap we caught each other's eyes. After a few moments I looked away, I was afraid that if I looked at her anymore I might rip her off of her boyfriends and kiss her again. She was beautiful, strong, and insanely smart. Everything I look for in a girl.  

“Mia, it's your turn.” I snapped out of my thoughts at the mention of my name. Right, that's what we were doing, truth or dare. Who should I pick? As I looked around the room I felt the guilt of life settling in. I was lying to my best friends, the people who had always been with me. I could tell them anything and yet I didn’t tell them my biggest secret. We all told each other everything. 

How do you tell your best friends that you aren't what they thought you were? How do you flip their whole perspective of you upside down and think they will be ok? How do you do it? How can I do this? I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders and I didn’t know to ask for help. I looked at the ground and could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. My friend's eyes were burning holes in my head but I couldn’t force myself to look them in the face much less face her. A soft hand rubbed my back and all of my friends were saying something but I couldn’t make it out over the sound of my heart beating. I felt like I was going to throw up 

“Mia, are you okay? I didn’t mean to hurt you, please look at me.” That broke me out of my haze, Ariadna's broken voice. I felt awful instantly. The woman I loved was apologizing for no reason, I made her think that she had hurt me somehow. I looked up and quickly wiped the tears out of my eyes. Ari and Dylan had tears in their eyes, Ari from thinking she did something, and Dylan for realizing that Ari had liked the kiss. Maria, Lucy, John, and Peter just looked back and Forth between the three of us. 

“I’m fine. Maria truth or dare?” I mustered out. The others looked away and Ari gave me a we’ll talk later look then looked at Maria smiling. 

“Uhm dare!” Maria sounded excited and I knew why she loved this game. I thought about a dare for a minute and then smiled wickedly, it didn’t meet my eyes though.  I had the perfect dare in mind. 

“Run a lap around the basement.” I said, she looked at me like she wanted to kill me. She hated running; it was a very well known fact. She threw me a heavy glare then got up and did it. I laughed when she came back and punched me lightly in the arm. I smiled and waited for her to ask someone. 

A few rounds went past and it was Dylan’s turn to ask someone. He turned to me with an evil glint in his eye and I looked away. I looked up sheepishly into his eyes. 

“Mia, truth or dare?” He asked. I sucked in a sharp breath and felt the tears pricking my eyes once again. No matter what I picked he would get me to admit how I feel, I might as well go with truth, after all I had gotten into this mess by picking dare.

“Truth.” I tried to keep my voice from shaking when I spoke but miserably failed. I couldn’t look at Ari so I kept my eyes trained on Dylans mischievous ones. 

“I’ll give you two options; what did you think of the kiss, or why were you crying. Your choice.” He stated staring me down. Everyone's mouths were wide open, it was an unspoken rule in our friendship not to push and this wasn’t pushing it was shoving. I looked down, again. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. I didn’t want to answer anything. When I finally raised my eyes to meet his I felt a surge of confidence when I stared at his cocky grin. I was not going to let him win. No way.

“I'll answer both of your questions. First it was amazing, and I would do it a million times again. And the second was because I was nervous about doing this. I’m lesbian, I like girls. There you go, happy?” I started softly but ended up shouting. The others were in shock, jaws gone slack and dumbstruck expressions. I smiled at this and for the first time I wasn’t scared. I leaned over and pulled Ari’s lips to mine, she was the only one who was smiling. She leaned in and I felt her smile against my lips. She relaxed onto my body and I ran my hands through her tight curls. When we pulled away all the others had mixed expressions on their faces. Peter and John were trying to pretend that they hadn’t enjoyed watching two girls make out, Dylan had an expression of horror and betrayal, and Maria and Lucy were grinning ear to ear. Dylan was the first to speak up,

“No, no you're not. You're messed up, you’re a freak. You’re just going through a phase, you’re confused. We can get you help.” Everyone's smiles died and a tear slipped down my face. This could not be happening, Dylan was like a brother to me, I could not lose him. I quickly stood up, tears coming down in thick sheets now. I rushed up the stairs and didn’t stop until I was in my car. I knew that Maria’s parents had seen me and would call mine but I didn’t care. 

Meanwhile in the basement

Ariadna’s POV

“What the hell is wrong with you!? Do you know how scary that must have been? Why the hell would you say that? I hate you! I never want to see you again. GET OUT, NOW!!” Ariadna yelled at her former boyfriend. She couldn’t believe him. She herself was bisexual, everyone knew that. What they hadn’t known was that she had a huge crush on Mia ever since they had met. Mia was beautiful, and not to mention she had a plan for the future. Ari loved that about her, the fact that she knew what she wanted and went after it. As her friends all around her were yelling and ushering Dylan out of the basement a realization hit her. Mia had kissed her. On the lips. Twice. 

“Oh my god…” The words left her lips before she could stop them. She sunk to the ground and my hands went to run over where her lips had been just moments before. “I have to go find her!” She then stood up and ran out ignoring her friends' anxious calls behind me. 

Ari drove for about thirty minutes just around, first she had gone to Mia’s house. Mia wasn’t there. So Ari went to the other side of town and checked the only other place she thought mia could be. The library.

Once she was there she walked up to it. It was open twenty-four hours a day. She pushed the door open and walked in. Ari walked swiftly through the long rows of books. When she reached the last one she heard a faint sob coming from the end of it. Ari turned down it and ran to the huddled figure. Mia was shaking in Ari’s arms and gripping her shirt nearly ripping it. Ari grabbed Mia’s chin and tilted it up, putting an arm around her neck and kissed her. They were in love, and that was all that mattered. And it all started with a kiss.

May 19, 2021 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.