Here's to Wishing

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

30 comments

Happy Friendship Coming of Age

Here’s to Wishing


1) Get a permanent boyfriend. My ex list is getting too long. Ex #1 Lance, he fell for another boy… Keith, I think? Ex #2 Jordan, never got that growth spurt like he said he would. Ex #5 Nick, had horrible teeth, and his hands- I still shudder at the thought of them. Ex #6 Kyle, he was gorgeous, but he was rude to his mother. If I don’t get a boyfriend, I can always get a girlfriend. Hopefully… Asa’s girlfriend is the sweetest, so hopefully, I can find someone like her. If I don’t, then I will be single forever. **wipes tear**


2) Audition for the singing role in this year’s musical. Mother won’t stop bothering me about it. “You should participate in more extracurricular activities, and stop going on your electronics.” The last time I sang, the choir gave me a solo I didn’t want. That led to singing and then falling over on stage. So, if I audition hopefully, they’ll make me sing in a group. If they don’t, well, I am screwed. I do NOT want to fall on stage ever again. Mother keeps reminding me how ‘lovely’ my voice is, but if it’s so great, how come Rihanna or Elton haven’t called me yet? That’s a joke. My voice isn’t that wonderful, I’m just going to audition for the experience.


3) Enjoy the little things in life. As Ferris Bueller once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” I probably should enjoy the more simplistic things in life. Things like lit candles, that sparkle in the dark, Mother’s smiles and laughs, or even leaves falling to the ground, in Autumn. When Dad was still alive, he would always tell me, “Eclipse, sometimes looking at the stars is enough. You don’t have to count them or love them, you should just acknowledge their beauty.” Dad was a wise guy.


4) Travel somewhere, anywhere. When Mother was young, she said she loved travelling to little towns, not too far from home. She said it was her replacement for travelling around the world; that was too expensive. I must take after her because I love adventures. Exhilarating ones that make your heart explode, or quiet ones that make you think. Whatever kind of adventure I have, it will remain with me forever, because adventure calls to everyone. It just depends on who’s listening. If you’re too loud and focus too much on the exaggerated parts of life, you won’t be able to hear adventure’s call. Better yet, I want to go on an adventure with someone. Someone who loves me, who talks to me, who understands me. We’re not going camping, though, last time I did, I scrambled out of my tent, and fell in a bush of poison ivy. It was horrible.


5) Get a B on my upcoming Chemistry test. This goal isn’t a long term one, but I am desperate for a good grade in Science. Mother keeps reminding me, that if I fail this class, she’ll have to swap my time writing poetry for studying. That should be illegal! You can’t cast away a writer’s soul, poetry longs to be written! Either way, I need to study hard, because exams are getting closer, yay.


6) Learn a new language. I haven’t decided one a language yet. Maybe I should learn French, or Italian, or Spanish? There’s so many to choose from! My friend Colin, once told me, “French is a sexy language, and Paris is the city of love. You cannot deny attraction in France.” Either Colin is very passionate about love, or he’s just biased because he’s French. I bet it’s both reasons. Maybe I could learn Greek? It looks hard, but it is good to have a challenge once in a while. However, it would be useful to learn Mandarin. Mother said lots of people speak it now, and it’ll be helpful to know it in the future if I get a job, and my colleagues speak Chinese. Asa assured me it was easy when she chose Mandarin as her language for Year 7 and 8. She said it wasn’t that bad, but then she dropped out and burned her books when she finished her last lesson, so… I think I’ll stick with French for now.


7) Finish all my story ideas. This one is going to take a long time. All my stories, and poetry ideas… There are so many unfinished ones, compared to completed ones. It would be nice to finish a couple, but I don’t think I have enough time to do every single one. There is nothing else to be said for this goal. FINISH MY WORK.


8) Make more people smile. There’s something about making people smile. A smile lights up a person’s face, their happiness is on display for everyone to see. It’s almost magical that anything can create a smile. Asa says she likes counting how many times she makes people smile. I told her that it must be awfully hard, what if she loses count, or what if she forgets? That’s unlikely though. Asa has a perfect memory. This goal is also a long term one, I wonder how many people smile every day, across the whole world. That could be thousands, millions, or billions of people out there who are having a wonderful day, and I would never know. How freaky is that?


9) Complete that 5km run I’ve been putting off. This is my least favourite out of all my goals. When I was younger, I used to go on runs with my dad every morning. Now, I don’t have time to run or compete in my school races. I doubt I’m even fit enough to run 5km non-stop. If I’m going to do this goal, I’m going to have to go back to my old training schedule. That should be fun… Maybe I could ask my friends to run with me, I doubt they will, but it would be nice to run with some company.


10) Decorate the wall at the back of my side room. I saved this goal for last. Asa, Colin, Aubrey and I have been planning to paint this wall and decorate it with pictures of us, and our memories. When Mother renovated the house, she kept the side room that attached to my room. I used to use it for storage, but last year I cleared it out, and now my friends and I hang out here all the time. The back wall is still plain white, and we’ve decided to paint it rainbow. I can’t wait to complete this goal!


~ One Year Later ~


1) Get a permanent boyfriend. ✖ I never did get a boyfriend. However, I have a girlfriend now. Her name is Lucy, and I met her at the library. I noticed she was reading one of my favourite books, and she had her eyes closed. I could tell she’d gotten to the bad part. After a few weeks, we started talking and we shared book recommendations, and now, here we are! She’s reading over my shoulder right now, to look at my goals from last year. I love her cute smile.


2) Audition for the singing role in this year’s musical. ✓ I did audition for this, and I got the main role! Luckily, I didn’t fall over this time around, and I got a standing ovation. I know, I was shocked too. Lucy said if it were her on that stage, she would sound like a dying pelican. 


3) Enjoy the little things in life. ➖ This one is still a long term goal. I’m trying to appreciate everything. The little rays of sunlight that peek through my window, when I wake up, or when Lucy is right by my side. The steam that rises and fogs my glasses when I have hot drinks. Oh, how lucky I am to be alive in a beautiful life.


4) Travel somewhere, anywhere. ✓ Mother surprised me last year when I graduated. She bought us tickets to France, and we stayed there for a week and a half. I’ll mention this a bit more later, but my French lessons were actually quite helpful! I learnt lots of little phrases, but in the end, the French spoke in English with their wonderful accents, because Mother couldn’t understand a word. 


5) Get a B on my upcoming Chemistry test. ✓ Ah yes, good old Chemistry classes. I actually got an A for this test, so it is safe to say I completed my goal. Mother said she was really proud of me, but she knew Dad would be prouder. He loved learning new things.


6) Learn a new language. ✓ Language time! I did start learning French with videos and apps, but once I started dating Lucy, she helped me A LOT. She’s half French, and she learnt it in high school, so it was the perfect combination of teacher and student. I still need to learn many other things, but it helped me when I went to France.


7) Finish all my story ideas. ➖ Ah yes, Goal 7. This one is also a longterm goal. I have completed two more stories, but I still have so many to go. Lucy likes to remind she won’t take me out for French food if I don’t keep writing my ‘belle poésie’, which means beautiful poetry. She knows how much I love French food, she’s a sneaky one, my Lucy.


8) Make more people smile. ➖ I’m still trying really hard to make people smile! I think everyone should have this goal, it spreads so much positivity, even if you’ve never met them before. Most of the time, you will always get a small smile in return. Unless you’re that one guy I smiled to on the tram. He glared at me, before frowning and moving to the other end of the tram. Guess you can’t make everyone smile.


9) Complete that 5km run I’ve been putting off. ✓ Lucy forced me to complete this one. She told me if I ran, she would run with me as moral support. She’s a professional long-distance runner, unlike me, she’s won a State Running Competition. She’s still reading over my shoulder, she’ll laugh and say she’s not that good at running when she sees the reply to this goal. It’s not true though, she’s amazing. God, I love her so much.


10) Decorate the wall at the back of my side room. ✓ We finished this last week! The four of us were laughing like crazy, Lucy and Asa’s girlfriend, Cali, came with us and helped us paint. We added all our old and new photos, with the four of us, and then with the six of us. Mother said she loved it. 


Well, I’ve finally completed most of my goals. Lucy’s finished reading, and Colin just texted me, we have to meet up in 5 minutes. So, goodbye old goals, and here’s to wishing to complete the next ones.


December 31, 2020 07:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Jasey Lovegood
07:24 Dec 31, 2020

Hello everyone! I'm back to writing 2 stories each week, (I was only writing one during Xmas week). After the super depressing story, "Kieran Hensler" I decided to write a happier story. This story has honestly taught me so much, like trying to be more positive especially after a hectic year. My main character is named after Sythe Crimsonstar (Eclipse) after she dedicated a story to me. Please check her out, she's amazing and super enthusiastic with writing! Enjoy! :D

Reply

21:56 Feb 04, 2021

I thought it was Eclipse like Sythe!! Literally the first thing I thought of lmao. And much happier indeed 😌

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:06 Feb 04, 2021

Yes! I used Sythe's name for the main character :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:51 Jan 02, 2021

Hello Jasey! I loved this story!!!!!!! It was so cute it fit the prompt very well! Good job!!! :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:55 Jan 08, 2021

Thanks so much Kate! I’m glad you liked it :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:05 Jan 08, 2021

Np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Banu Katia
00:05 Dec 02, 2022

Give a try to Dr Trevor herbal remedies & free from your health disease/virus within (15) days of dosage. He cured me of herpes virus that i have been suffering from the past 8 months. few weeks after i used his herbal medication i became fully cured, he also cure the following: 1. HIV/AIDS 2. HERPES 1&2 3. CANCER 4. ALS 5. AMOEBIC MENINGOENCEPHALITIS 6. ANTHRAX 7. PLAGUE 8. Genital wart 9. BRING OF EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU. 10.STROKE 11.Parasites 12.Monkey Pox 13.Chicken Pox Email:drtrevorherbalclinic@gmail.com Contact via WhatsApp:+23481...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Sally
13:40 Aug 26, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE CONTACT DR ifadesolutionspellcaster@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348151806720 / FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/Ifadesolutionspellcaster Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I will forever be indebted to DR,IFADE for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for another woman for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to DR,IFADE. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lot about false sp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Sally
13:40 Aug 26, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE CONTACT DR ifadesolutionspellcaster@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348151806720 / FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/Ifadesolutionspellcaster Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I will forever be indebted to DR,IFADE for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for another woman for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to DR,IFADE. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lot about false sp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Sally
13:40 Aug 26, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE CONTACT DR ifadesolutionspellcaster@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348151806720 / FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/Ifadesolutionspellcaster Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I will forever be indebted to DR,IFADE for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for another woman for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to DR,IFADE. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lot about false sp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Sally
13:40 Aug 26, 2022

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE CONTACT DR ifadesolutionspellcaster@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348151806720 / FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/Ifadesolutionspellcaster Am sorry for putting this on the net but I have to. I will forever be indebted to DR,IFADE for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for another woman for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my friend introduced me to DR,IFADE. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lot about false sp...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Terry Shelmire
21:44 May 18, 2021

My wife told me that he was no longer in love with me. He moved out of the house and into another man’s home” I was heart broken when my wife of three years left to be with another man.Thank you Dr Akhigbe for saving my broken Marriage and brought my wife back to me” Me and my wife are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Akhigbe. If you have any problem contact Dr Akhigbe now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Here’s his contact,Email him at: drakhigbespellhome7@gmail.com or WhatsApp him: +2349021374574.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Orthan
20:16 Mar 18, 2021

love love the wishlist idea!!!! i cant find any faults w this. it’s perrrrfect!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:24 Mar 18, 2021

Me too! I’ve always wanted to write a wish list- but tbh I always end up forgetting 😅 so this was the perfect opportunity to write about one! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Elle Orthan
21:07 Mar 18, 2021

that’s so so cool!!! and ofc!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
21:59 Mar 04, 2021

Hey Jasey, I don't know if I ever told you, but would you like the link to our chatting document? Everyone stays anonymous and it's just for people to talk and plan stories and stuff. :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
07:23 Mar 05, 2021

Hey Maya! I would love to, send the link whenever

Reply

Maya -
13:36 Mar 05, 2021

Yay! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnTO2_RBMf0A45gw38pgM6aXANTqhZIhDvSUHk0_gXo/edit#

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:31 Mar 05, 2021

Tysm!

Reply

Maya -
22:34 Mar 05, 2021

:)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:08 Feb 04, 2021

Ahhh i love the way that you did two lists as a response to the prompt, one before and one after. And Lucy is precious, so is Eclipse. also happy ending :) this one was really sweet and i really like your creative take on the prompt, good job!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:24 Feb 04, 2021

Thank you so much, Zoe! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annette Lovewind
01:25 Jan 10, 2021

Aww this was such a wholesome a feel-good story very nice!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:44 Jan 10, 2021

Thanks for the feedback, Annette! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Law
09:08 Jan 08, 2021

Jasey I loved this story so much. So personal and raw. So glad you found 'the girl', Lucy sounds perfect for you. Great choice learning French. I found when I was traveling through Holland and Germany that the few phrases I did know the locals loved when I tried them... Next time you and Lucy make it somewhere in the big wide world give it a go (more memories... lots more fun)... Good luck with our other hopes and dreams... There is always time... It might be time to update the list...

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
10:00 Jan 08, 2021

Hi Tim, thank you for reading! I’m ecstatic that you loved the story. I actually do learn French in school, so if I ever go to France, I’ll talk to the locals. I actually haven’t “the girl/the boy” in my life, but I, a hopeless romantic, am glad you think Lucy is perfect for Eclipse. Thank you for feedback, and yes, hopefully those dreams can come true! :) ~ Jasey

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:58 Jan 01, 2021

Hi Jasey! I loved your story! It's so pretty, and the fact that you cam eback and told us what Eclipse actually finished and what she didn't? That's awesome and so unique! There's not a single imprefection in this. It is pure *chef's kiss* amazingness. Aww, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NAMING YOUR MC AFTER ME!!!! :D:D:D Lots of love, Sythe <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:30 Jan 01, 2021

Hiiii Sythe! Thank you for the wonderful comment, and yes, it was the least I could do after you dedicated a story to me! I have one other story coming soon, which focuses on Eclipse’s best friend Asa... but that’s if I send it in before the deadline, wish me luck! Love, Jasey :D

Reply

11:53 Jan 01, 2021

Ah, no problem, a wonderful story deserves a wonderful comment ;) Best of luck on finishing before the deadline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:53 Jan 01, 2021

Ah, no problem, a wonderful story deserves a wonderful comment ;) Best of luck on finishing before the deadline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.