One Last Drink

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Thriller Teens & Young Adult

“There she is!” Julian goaded loudly, gesturing toward the kitchen. He could barely be heard over the deafening Blink 182 song “What’s My Age Again?” playing through the speakers and the crowds of already drunk people chit-chatting around them.

Kathleen took another big sip of her drink. Her face began to feel hot. She didn’t know if it was the cheap can of beer or her nervousness. Through the many groups of partiers, she could see Bobbi making her way with some friends into the kitchen area. 

“I can’t do this.” Kathleen shook her head, watching Bobbi grab some spiked punch.

“You shittin’ me?” Julian pulled Kathleen toward him by the shoulders. “This is our last day on campus for who knows how long! You have to make your move now or you’ll regret it till the day you die.”

“What if I die in the next 30 seconds?”

“At least you’ll die as a college graduate.” Julian gulped down some beer. “That’s more than some people can say.”

“You’re right. I can die happily! I’ll just keep drinking myself to death now.” She chugged the rest of her drink down.

“That’s the spirit!” Julian chugged along with her. With a satiated exhale, he yelled, “More beer!” Julian pulled Kathleen through the thin opening between the groups inhabiting the living room and spilled out into the kitchen.

Kathleen punched him in the arm. “I see what you’re doing,” she quietly growled.

“What?!” He shrugged with a sly smile. “We’re just gettin’ more drinks!”

She rolled her eyes at him, before looking around the kitchen. She glimpsed at Bobbi, who was in the corner talking to some friends. She continued over the rest of the room, which held the punch bowl, a sink full of ice and beers, and a few other minglers refreshing their intake. 

“Julian!” A slightly shrill voice came from behind them. “We got the keg!”

“Oh, perfect!” He grabbed the woman by the ass and gave her a sloppy kiss. “Just like you, Bridgette.” He put on a fake French accent at her name, although the woman was very much American.

“My bro’s bringin’ it in.” Bridgette smiled lustily into Julian’s eyes.

Kathleen made a throw-up noise in their direction.

He grinned widely at Kathleen. “You had perfect timing, Brigette. We just finished our drinks.”

“I’m fine with another can,” Kathleen said, crossing her arms. 

“Some people have no taste,” Julian laughed and kissed Bridgette again.

She giggled. “I better help my bro. It’s a pretty big keg.”

“I’ll miss you.” 

“I’ll miss you, too.” Bridgette squealed when Julian slapped her ass, then she skipped away back into the living room crowd. 

Kathleen made another vomit noise. “And how long have you known her again?” She asked with a tone of sarcasm.

“Leeny, Leeny, Leeny. Love needs not a time frame.”

“Do you want a smack?” She threatened, her hand flat and ready. 

Julian chuckled. “I’m sorry! I know you don’t like that nickname, but it just fit the moment, y’know?”

She gave him a death glare. 

“Anyway! You’re meant to be starting your love affair, too, remember?” He gestured toward Bobbi.

Kathleen felt her face get hot again. She followed Julian’s gesture and accidentally caught Bobbi’s glance. She quickly returned her face back to Julian. He stared in disbelief for a moment.

“What was that?!” He whispered hoarsely. 

Kathleen stood silently for a moment, wide eyed. “I- I gotta go.” She shoved her way through the living room crowd toward the front door. At the entrance, her path was blocked by two men carrying a very large metal keg through the thin door frame. They each had one handle and had to walk through the doorway sideways to both fit. Bridgette passed by Kathleen without a second glance, directing the men towards the living room. People started cheering at the sight of the giant keg.

One of the men said in a gruff voice, “We got two more where this came from!” More people cheered at the declaration. Kathleen noticed that the man looked older, maybe late 40s, while the other man looked about 20 or so. She wondered if she'd seen them before, then headed through the front door to the porch. 

The music and crowd noise were muffled out here, the nightly nature sounds of bugs and frogs replacing it. She took a seat on one of the front steps and inhaled the fresh air. It was a slightly cool night, surprising Kathleen, who was rubbing her arms for warmth. But this was a much needed refuge for her, although she forgot to grab a can on the way out. She looked up at the sky. The stars were always the brightest out here. Bishop’s End College, BECs for short, was at least 40 minutes from civilization in any direction. It almost felt like the only people in the town were students. But she was going to miss this place. 

Kathleen heard the music get louder for a moment with the opening of the front door. Heavy-booted thuds stepped behind her. She sideways-glanced at the other porch occupant. 

“Kathleen?” 

Kathleen’s nervousness returned in an instant.

“H-hey, Bobbi.” She took a deep breath. “How are you?”

“I was gonna ask you the same thing.” She sat down next to Kathleen on the stairs, their hands almost touching in the process. Kathleen felt her hand tense up. “I saw you and Julian in the kitchen, but you ran out?”

“Oh.” Kathleen chuckled, almost feeling relieved. “I just don’t like his new girlfriend, or whatever she is.”

“The girl giving out all the free booze? How could you not like someone like that?” Bobbi laughed sweetly. 

Kathleen laughed lightly with her. “Julian literally just met her like a week ago! And there’s something about her that seems off to me.”

Bobbi moved in closer. “Like what?”

Kathleen’s cheeks got hot. “I don’t know. Like, where did she come from? She’s our age, lives in town, but doesn’t go to school here? How many people stay in town after they graduate?”

Bobbi laughed. “You got a point. Did you ask her about that?”

Kathleen hesitated. “No, not yet. But I just haven’t spent, like, any time with her. It’s been a crazy week.”

“Definitely.” Bobbi leaned back on the stairs. “My mom and dad were in the same room for the first time in like ten years. I was an anxious mess.” She chuckled, pushing some hair behind her ear. “Not to mention the impending pressure to get a good job and start a career. Hearing that from both sides.”

Kathleen grimaced. “I don’t wanna think about that right now.” A few other people came out onto the porch, chatting.

“Same. It’s kinda scary.”

They both were silent for a moment. Kathleen overheard the other people talking about the mountains of beer being passed around to everyone.

“Beautiful night, right?” Bobbi interrupted their silence. “I’m really gonna miss this view.”

Kathleen looked over at Bobbi as she was admiring the stars. She looked so perfect at that moment. “I’m gonna miss it, too.”

Bobbi met her glance. “Where are you headed after tonight? Goin’ back home?”

Kathleen looked down at the grass by her feet and searched for an answer.

“I’m not really-”

As Kathleen started her reply, one of the people on the porch started throwing up. Kathleen recognized him from her Astronomy class, a guy named Kevin or something. The two people with Kevin didn’t look too great either. One girl was grabbing the deck railing tightly, while the other guy looked noticeably sweaty, their drink cups scattered on the floor.

“Hey. Are you guys alright?” Bobbi yelled over to them. 

Kevin threw up some more before collapsing to the floor. Bobbi and Kathleen quickly rose from the stairs, staring at him in shock. The other two people started throwing up as well, collapsing on top of Kevin lifelessly.

Bobbi stepped forward and pressed two fingers onto one of their necks. She gave Kathleen a worried look. 

“We gotta go get help,” Bobbi almost whispered out. Kathleen stood frozen, looking from Bobbi to the bodies.

The chorus of Hoobastank’s song “Out of Control” startled Kathleen as Bobbi flung the front door open and ran inside. Kathleen was suddenly aware of how alone she was. The surrounding dark woods made her feel very isolated. Only the dim porch light protected her from the darkness enveloping everything.

A piercing scream.

Kathleen jolted toward the house. Bobbi ran out of the front door, her face pale. She grabbed Kathleen’s sleeve and dragged her behind. 

Kathleen panted out, "What's going on?" between each step of the sprint. They were at the end of the driveway when Kathleen pulled her sleeve out of Bobbi’s grip and stopped to take a breath. Bobbi looked frantic.

“We can’t stop. We gotta get out of here!” Bobbi grabbed at Kathleen’s arms again, but she pushed Bobbi away.

“The fuck is wrong with you?”

Bobbi was staring down the driveway back toward the house. “I think… I think they’re all dead.”

Kathleen couldn’t believe it. That wouldn’t happen. But there was something about Bobbi’s fear and her expressions that suggested it was true.

“What do you mean?” Kathleen asked, more calmly.

Bobbi fidgeted. “Everyone was collapsed on the floor and on top of each other, just like the people we saw on the porch.”

Kathleen stared at her in angry disbelief. “How can that be? Everyone just dropped dead?”

“I don’t know, Kathleen! That’s just what I saw. I wasn’t gonna stick around and find out.”

“But Julian’s still in there. I- I gotta go back for him!”

Bobbi grabbed Kathleen’s hand. “No! You can’t. Let’s just get out of here and call the cops.”

 Suddenly, headlights shone from around the bend and started coming down the driveway, blinding the two women. Before they could react, two people emerged from the vehicle.

"We got some live ones!" It sounded like the voice of a teenage boy. Bobbi and Kathleen started running back down the driveway toward the house. 

“I’ll distract them!” Kathleen yelled through heavy breaths. “You hide and call the cops!”

“What?! You can’t!” Bobbi replied.

“Go!” Kathleen pushed Bobbi toward the back of the house. Kathleen turned and started running toward the forest on the right. Suddenly, someone stumbled out of the front door, crying loudly. 

"Bridgette?" This distracted Kathleen enough for the teenage boy to grab her from behind and hold a knife to her neck.

“I got her before you! Ha ha!” The boy laughed.

“You got a head start!” The other person, a teenage girl, whined. Bridgette wiped her face, gaining her composure, and approached Kathleen.

“I always knew I could be an actor.” Bridgette smiled.

“In your dreams,” the teenage boy muttered. 

Bridgette’s smile disappeared. “At least my dreams don’t involve mommy-fucking.” The boy stammered and turned red.

The headlights came down the driveway. It was a pickup truck with a large keg in the cargo bed. A tall, broad man emerged and joined the group.

“Why’re you two just standin’ there?” The man yelled. “There was another one runnin’ behind the house.” He gestured in that direction.

“I already caught mine!” The teenage boy said. “That one's yours!” He pointed at the teenage girl with the knife. 

“Ugh! Fine!” She rolled her eyes and ran off toward the back of the house, machete in hand. 

Kathleen noticed the opportunity. She kicked her foot back, hitting the teenage boy’s crotch. He screamed and immediately fell to the ground. Kathleen ran down the driveway and past the truck as fast as she could. 

“Get her!” The man yelled. She could hear a stampede of heavy steps behind her. She focused only on the road, letting nothing distract her. But there was a new noise. The sound of tires sliding on dirt. She turned her head just to see the truck’s cargo bed hit her. She flew to the ground, losing consciousness as her face met the cold dirt.


---


“- fulfilled our promise to The Prophet Filius, who will grant us gracious passage into the next plane. We will be treated as the kings and queens we always were!...”

Kathleen awoke to the scene of Bridgette, the broad man, the two teenagers, and the two men who brought the kegs in, holding hands and heads down in prayer, sharing a dining table with her. She was tied to a chair, with Julian to her left and Bobbi to her right, tied to their chairs as well. They were both unconscious. A single cup sat in front of all of the dining table occupants. 

Kathleen’s eyes darted around, her breath becoming heavy. She started wiggling her arms to try and loosen the rope. Past the dining room, she could see the piles of collapsed bodies Bobbi had mentioned before. A tear fell down her cheek, and she felt a sudden stinging pain and throbbing. Something must’ve happened to her nose in the fall.

Out of the corner of her eye, Kathleen saw movement. It was Bobbi. The face Bobbi made as she slowly realized where they were was full of dread. But Bobbi soon focused herself and silently worked at the ropes.

“...we take this mead and separate our sinful bodies from our kingly spirits. Amen.”

“Amen.” The group responded and opened their eyes. 

“They're awake, Lawrence!” Bridgette said in her shrill and disapproving voice. 

“No matter,” the broad man responded. “They will meet their other sinful friends soon. Who wants to feed them the sparkling ale?”

“I’ll do it,” the teenage girl responded. “You know I have experience.”

“Okay.” Lawrence smiled. “To make it easy on you, you can start with the boy. I heard Bridgette knocked him out good.” Bridgette giggled.

The girl nodded and got up from her chair.

Kathleen shook in her seat. “No! Julian!”

The teenage girl moved Julian’s head back. It flopped meekly. 

“Wake up! Julian, wake up!” Frustrated tears started streaming down Kathleen’s face, her nose pounding with pain and pressure.

The girl rose the cup to his mouth and poured the ale in. She forced his jaw up and down to send the drink inside. 

Kathleen thrashed in her chair, bumping the table and disturbing the full cups. 

Lawrence threw his chair back and furiously thudded toward Kathleen. He wrapped his arm around her neck in a chokehold. She could only make silent attempts at gasping for air.

“We got ourselves a little troublemaker right here!” He laughed through gritted teeth.

“Stop!” Bobbi yelled. “She’ll stop. She won’t cause anymore trouble.”

Lawrence smiled. “Oh, will she now? You better hope so.” He let his arms free and stood back. Kathleen hoarsely struggled to take a deep breath.

Lawrence faced the group. “Let’s continue, shall we?”

Suddenly, Bobbi stood up, unleashing herself from the ropes. Before Lawrence could react, she stabbed him in the side of the throat. He grabbed at Bobbi, pulling her hair and yanking her with his remaining strength. She pulled the switchblade out, blood sprinkling the walls, and stabbed his neck again. Some of the group got up from their chairs, shocked and stuttering. Lawrence started to sway, his grip on Bobbi’s hair loosening, before finally crashing to the ground.

“You bitch!” Bridgette screamed. She ran at Bobbi, hands out like claws. Bobbi backed up but hit the wall. Kathleen, still tied to the chair, pushed herself in front of Bridgette to block her, and hit her foot with a leg of the chair.

“My fucking toe!” Bridgette screamed again, reaching for the damaged foot and jumping up in pain. Bobbi quickly cut the rope off of Kathleen and pulled her up by the hand. They booked it for the front door. Kathleen took one last glance at Julian, who had streams of vomit down his cheeks. She also saw the rest of the group close on their tail. Bobbi and Kathleen ran as fast as they could out the door. The end of the driveway looked miles ahead. But then, red and blue lights flashed through the dark silhouettes of the tree trunks in front of them. A smile grew on Kathleen’s face, until she heard Bridgette screech from behind like an animal. This pushed Bobbi and Kathleen through the final length, and they reached the end of the driveway, where three police cars were parked. A female police officer grabbed them, and they hid behind one of the cars.

“Freeze!” A male police officer yelled. Him and four other officers had guns raised, taking cover behind their cars. Bridgette and her group reluctantly came to a stop on the dirt driveway, holding their hands up. The officers inched towards them, guns unwavering, and yelled for them to get to the ground. Kathleen couldn’t see the whole scene from behind the car, but she did see the two teenagers look at each other and nod. They screamed out in unison, “We are The Glorious Chorus!” Then they all ran at the officers. Shots filled the air. Kathleen felt the sound echo through her ears and swollen nose, wincing at the pain. 

Bobbi looked over at Kathleen with tears coming to her eyes. She threw herself into Kathleen’s arms and silently cried. Kathleen held her tightly.

“I think it’s over,” Kathleen breathed out. She looked up at the night sky over Bishop’s End and hoped she’d never see it again.


May 14, 2021 12:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.