1 comment

Coming of Age Fiction Sad

His education stopped at standard three as colonial masters called it then in forties; it is equivalent of primary three now. He was in his late teens when in that level. Observing his actions in late fifties, i noticed that, in all the subjects that were taught then that were not calculation related, he was practically stupid but maths related ones, he was good. He was smarter than most of his colleagues without actually knowing the science behind what he does.

He was chief Jacobs Ani, of medium size both in height and weight. He recognized from the beginning that educationally, he had problem and the remedy was to pay attention to the educated around him. Most of his mates that were wealthy wasn't paying attention to any other thing outside their retail business.

Not chief Ani, he was a hustler, he knew early that to raise money, you must provide services, that kind of service in buying and selling in community he was in in late fifties and early sixties was your ability to provide things that don't exist where you are that masses there needs.

He knew that onitsha his city wasn't an industrial but commercial one, so, he knew that, for him to change his financial situation, actions were needed not talk. Shame, pride, laziness and fear were monsters that supervises and maintain poverty in the life of people, conquer them in business, you would have conquered poverty. He set out in dealing with those monsters in his dealings, he was never ashamed to ask any questions no matter how stupid it might sound, lazy to dwell in procrastinations, not him or afraid to take calculated risk, never him.

When he was beginning without enough cash yo be visiting lawyers for advice in things he didn't understand, he would corner enlightened people around him for free advice and fifty percent correct advice were always given. That was how he came to be in the importation business in early sixties, following those that knew and observing them do things.

He joined them in going to Equatorial Guinea known as Spanish guinea then to import hot drinks of all kinds, selling them then at Onitsha and raising money. When he felt that he had raised enough to answer master, he went back to his village to bring two young boys that would helped him in running his business. His plan was to be into wholesale and retail sector at onitsha while still engaged in his importation business. 

He established his presence in onitsha well, got married. He knew already the importance of physical address both in business and otherwise. He had gone into distributorship with some companies in port Harcourt city, from paper works involved, he knew that post office box was inevitable, he went back to his village and got one. True to the saying that 'traveling is part of education', he practically knew how many things were done, the processes involved but, they were mostly done in English and that was what he found difficult to grasp. He must start looking for lawyer or someone that would tackle that aspect for him. He never liked that part of himself at all, he can't help it. ' in the life of illiterate man, there's no privacy'.

He started asking questions about shares in middle sixties, opening bank accounts and learning how they function when most of his mates were still using big boxes under their beds as banks. He knew the importance of visiting these institutions, he had foundout that they helped in eliminating timidity in people, reduce over worry and build confidence in the person. What one gain's in buying shares, he didn't really understand well initially but due to the fact that educated people around him kept at it, he followed. The money spent and the return they called dividend at end of the year was a joke to him but he realized that it was future investments, avenue to learn things he didn't know. Words like broker, registrars, proxy, general and annual meetings etc wasn't foreign words to him anymore.

He began receiving divided warrants in post office box, Gazette, notice of meetings and other share related items. Most of the companies he was distributor to, he decided to start buying shares in them too. All those colonial companies he grew up hearing about, he started buying shares in them no matter how small; he had noticed that as years go by, the number of shares grows with it.

For almost four decades, he had been dealing with paper dividend warrants that he have madtered them. He knows what is required of him and the companies, fall in love with the various companies end of the year reports magazines. All of a sudden, they started bringing CDs in place of the magazines, he found it too tiring to watch anything in the CDs to the end.

He had gone to his lawyer late last year and the man was talking like the companies.

"It's new way of doing things in stock market now, things have changed, it was order from Federal government".

"I found it difficult to comprehend, i no longer know when I'm paid or not".

"You must meet your registrars to help you in setting up everything digitally".

"And I will start paying again for the update, right?".

"Of course, if you know how to go about it your self, do it. If not, i suggest you pay them. It is their work".

"What was wrong with the old method?".

"This digital method eliminates the errors of paper work, delays and disappearance of warrants etc. It is far better".

"What and what do they need to do the update?".

"Just call them, keep share certificates and details in order finish".

" Thanks alot"

"You're welcome".

He went home, continued fiddling with the phone he bought since thirty days now and wondering how he would start at his age to learn how to do any other thing outside answering call with the phone. 

February 22, 2021 08:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nina Chyll
17:44 Feb 28, 2021

This could definitely do with some proofreading, both in terms of grammar as well as punctuation. The lack of commas threw me off at many points.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.