12 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Drama

“Are you there, God? It’s me. You know I’m a lonely woman, so please forgive me for what I am about to do.” Joanna glanced back the door, showing her an escape from this temptation, but she knew what lied beyond it was hell on Earth.

Her agonizing journey began nearly a year ago when her father arranged for her to marry Joel. Had her father known the true nature of the man who was to become his son in-law, he surely would have cursed him, instead of giving him his blessing.

Nearly every night since their marriage, Joel would go into town to drink and fornicate. Then he would come home drunk and beat her, sometimes to the point of unconsciousness, and when he tired of beating her, he would take her in the most brutal of fashions.

Yes, the door that laid in front of her was an exit, but not one to freedom.

As she stood there, the sound of nearby breathing drew Joanna’s attention. Turning away from the door, she faced the man in the room with her. Joshua was no stranger to her, for he lived next door. Unlike Joel, Joshua was a kind and gentle man. When he discovered how Joel was treating Joanna, he gladly showed compassion and comforted her, giving her courage to go on. Today, Joanna agreed to have Joshua comfort her in a different way. As she walked into Joshua’s waiting arms, he guided her into his bedroom.

As quickly as she laid down and gave herself to Joshua, a shout broke the silence. Startled, Joshua jumped to his feet, and the source of the shouts crashed into the room. Joanna was in shock when she saw Joel pointing his gnarly finger at her.

“You whore!” he shouted. “How could you do this to me?”

As Joel’s arm flew at her face, Joanna tried to block the blow, but it never landed. A scream of pain greeted when her head was being yanked back. Joel had twisted his hand through her hair and unmercifully dragged her out the front door.

Onlookers stood in disbelief as Joel shouted out, “I caught this woman in the act of adultery! She has sinned against me, as well as God! What say you?”

A crowd began to gather around and echoed, “Stone her! Stone her!”

Filled with fear, Joanna begged. “Please, don’t! Forgive me! It won’t happen again!”

Still wielding Joanna’s hair, Joel shook her violently. “I know it won’t happen. You won’t live long enough to defy me again.” Joel resumed dragging her down the street, and the crowd followed in anticipation.

The parade continued until they reached the synagogue, where they found the Rabi waiting. Word of what occurred had had spread throughout the town, but still the Rabi had to ask, “What is the meaning of this Joel?”

With his free hand, Joel pointed at Joanna. “This, this woman has defied the law of God and has committed adultery.”

“Are you sure,” asked the Rabi.

“I have witnessed the foul act with my own two eyes. This, I swear to God.”

Raising his hands to Heaven, the Rabi declared, “This woman has committed adultery and according to the law of Moses, she must be stoned to death.”

The crowd cheered and shouted, “Stone her! Stone her!”

Bolstered by the cheering, Joel threw Joanna against the wall of the synagogue and joined the mob.

Alone and desperate, Joanna fell to her knees and prayed, “Oh, God please deliver me from this injustice.”

As the Rabi stepped back from the angry crowd, a man stepped out from it and approached Joanna. As he looked compassionately at Joanna, he sat down next to her.

Joanna was amazed. “Who is this stranger that’s willing to risk his life for me?”

The Rabi shouted at the man, “Step back, or you may die as well as that woman!”

The stranger turned his haunting eyes towards the Rabi. “Who am I to you, as to care for my safety and who is she to you that makes you think she deserves to die?”

The Rabi pointed at Joanna and cried out, “She is a sinner and must pay for her sin.”

In a calm voice, the stranger replied, “Since this woman’s sin was witnessed by man, she must pay for her sin, but what about those who sin, but were not witnessed by man. Do they deserve to go free?”

The Rabi was troubled by the question. Still, he answered, “All sinners must pay for their sins.”

The crowd grew quiet, waiting to hear this man’s reply, and whispered, “All men have sinned.” Taking his finger, he began to write in the sand.

Curious, the Rabi peered at the writing, and when he was finished, it took all his strength to keep his composer.

The crowd you see the Rabi was rattled. As they witnessed what just transpired, the anger the crowd held diminished and was replaced by confusion.

The stranger waved his hand towards the crowd and told them, “Let those without sin cast the first stones.”

The people in the crowd talked among themselves and dispirited, they slowly disappeared in the streets, until Joanna was left alone with the stranger.

Slowly, Joanna turned her head up and dare ask, “Who are you?”

The man smiled and simply said, “A friend.”

She began to weep. “Thank you, kind sir. You saved my life. What can I ever do to repay you?”

Her friend gently touched her shoulder. “Just sin no more.”

As the realization of just occurred, Joanna asked, “What do I do now? I can’t go back to my husband and my family will not accept me in this state.” She wiped away her tears. “I have nowhere to go.”

The man stood and as he did, he lifted Joanna to her feet. “Then come with me and join my sisters and brothers. What do you say?”

“It was unheard of, a woman running off with a man. How will I survive? What will people think of me? But if I stay, I would be an outcast, a beggar on the street, always looking at my back fearing Joel will be there.” There was no choice.

“When do we leave?”

Her friend broke onto a smile. “We can leave right now, but I suggest you change your name. We wouldn’t want someone to recognize you and betray your whereabouts to Joel.”

Joanna’s eye lit up. “How about Mary? I’ve always liked that name.”

Her friend was jubilant. “I adore it. It also the name of my mother. Mary it is.”

The two walked out of the town of Magdala, never to return.

February 08, 2022 16:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Riel Rosehill
00:12 Feb 17, 2022

Hi Howard, So is this a retelling of Bible-story (I confess I have not read it!) from a different perspective? It was interesting and I thought the voice of Jesus was very recognisable and I loved his reaction to the name Mary - cute!. But it bugged me a little how this poor abused woman's romance was a referred to as a "sin" still by Jesus even though the marriage was forced and her husband abusive... Not unrealistic though, unfortunately, not of the time or religion - everything is the woman's fault! Nobody thought of stoning the man who...

Reply

Howard Seeley
02:53 Feb 17, 2022

Thank you for commenting on my story. Sadly, so say, in and around AD 30 in the Jewish community, women were only one step above slavery. From the day they were born, they may have been loved, but were still treated as property, and they were married off, the gaining husband's family would have to pay a dowery to the wife's side of the family (unlike today), since in sense they were receiving a new member of the family. Husbands could do most anything to their wives tenderly or abusively. Either way the Jewish community thought those issues...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:36 Feb 15, 2022

I like the twist to your story! Very compelling!

Reply

Howard Seeley
22:02 Feb 15, 2022

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I did publish a book called, MARY OF MAGDALA, DAUGHTER OF LOVE. A different storyline, but quite compelling as well.

Reply

23:00 Feb 15, 2022

Congratulations on your book! Is it available at the library?

Reply

Howard Seeley
23:24 Feb 15, 2022

Hah! I wished. Check this website: http://www.hkseeley.com/

Reply

23:39 Feb 15, 2022

I checked out the website. Really like the video with music!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Howard Seeley
23:43 Feb 15, 2022

It's less than $5.00 on Amazon.

Reply

02:01 Feb 16, 2022

You may ask your library for a request for purchase as long as you have an ISBN number and you show your library aquisition person a copy of your book they will want to see if they want to add it to the collection. Just a thought.

Reply

Howard Seeley
02:29 Feb 16, 2022

Thank you so much for the information. I'll work on it this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Howard Seeley
02:43 Feb 16, 2022

As a reward, I'll share those books (PDF) with you, if you give me your email address. Send to howard@hkseeley.com if you don't want to post it here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Howard Seeley
01:51 Feb 09, 2022

A classic tale from another point of view. Enjoy! ******************************************************************* * Write a comment, and I'll gladly write one for a story of yours. * *******************************************************************

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.