2 comments

Sad Fiction Friendship

“Are you there, God?  It’s me Brittany Terrace.”  I pleaded to my glow in the dark star dotted ceiling. “Can you grant me one thing?  I just want a friend.”  My red blankets bunched around me as I rolled over to face my birch tree painted walls.  A small moment of pride washed over me, my copper eyes gliding over my lovely paintwork.  Pink sunset peaked through the small slits in my dusty white blinds, my radio turning on.  Obnoxious music blared in my still quiet room, screaming at me to get up.  Groaning, my bare feet swung over the edge of my bed onto black fluffy carpet.

“Are you up, Britt!” My anxious mother called up the stairs. “It is about time for school.”  Cocking my brow, my arms crossed my ample chest.  Her anxiety felt like an earthquake every time I woke up.  Sighing, my fingers traced my black and purple dresses.  A deep purple sweater dress caught my eyes, the wool feeling soft on my hand.  In a flash the soft wool sat on my pale skin, hugging my hourglass figure.  Black fishnets clung to my legs, worn combat boots covered my feet.   A black locket hung on my chest, my fingers wrapping around the small purple heart.   My door handle jiggled aggressively, dragging me out of my internal numbness.  

“I am getting up, mom.” I retorted coolly, putting on my black leather jacket.  No response happened, worrying me slightly.  Hair crunched beneath my detangler brush, my long wavy brown hair protesting.  Snarls have been the bane of my existence,  my fingers rolling my bangs.  Huffing to myself, my fingers wrapped around the golden knob.  My heart pounded out of my chest, feeling something odd on the other side of the door.  The black door swung open to reveal a pink haired girl on the other side of it.  Her pink dress with lace and huge bows made her petite frame look even more like a pixie.  Silky pink gloves grabbed my arms pulling me down my stairs.  

“Who are you?” I muttered, the decaying wallpaper flashing by me. “You must be new here.”  Childish giggles tumbled from her glittering lips, her dainty finger raising to her lips.  My mother stood smiling, joy twinkling in her copper eyes.  The hot salty smell of bacon filled the kitchen, a spatula scraping eggs in a beat black frying pan.  My cheeks grew red at the sight of my orange grease splattered walls, and multi-colored cabinets.  This was something that I did with my dad to destroy any sense of normal in my home.  

“This is Lily Paddeaux.” My mother explained excitedly. “I told her you will be her guide today.”  Biting my tongue, I plopped down at the long dark table my dad made.  Tears welled up in my eyes, my finger tracing the hole he made.    

“Where is your husband?” She queried kindly, noting our falling faces. “Did I say something wrong?”  A heavy silence hung around us, the fire alarm going off.  Smoke plumed from the hot greasy bacon pan.  A once heavenly smell now soured, I placed a lid over the fire.  The smoke died down instantly.  

“I lost my appetite.” I growled, pulling on my Luna backpack.  My mother’s lips parted in protest, but pressed tightly together.  Lily followed me silently outside just pacing me by a few steps.  Her gloved hand touched my shoulder, my hand slapping it away. 

“Did I say something wrong?” She questioned, concerned. “I can fix it, I promise.”  Anger boiled in my veins, the bus stop just ahead.  Susie Walker stood next to her zombie friends flipping her blonder straight hair.  Her ocean blue eyes met mine, a malevolent grin dancing across her painted lips.  Her arms crossed her pink sweater, a small gust of wind blowing her white tennis skirt up.  

“If we aren’t back from the dead with someone who is freakier than you.” She teased, popping a bubble of pink gum. “This is going to be rich.  Pink girl, this world is not an anime.”  Hurt burned in the pink haired girl's green eyes, tears forming in them.  Fury burned in my eyes, my patience wearing real thin at this point.  The mini mes behind her laughed, the whole crowd of kids laughing.  My eyebrow twitched furiously, the air cracking as my hand slammed into her perfect cheek.  A large vein grew in the middle of her vast forehead, her fists clenching tightly.  The strange girl that followed me chuckled softly, holding her gloved hand to her mouth.  

“I will let you mock me until the day I die.” I growled through gritted teeth. “I will never let you treat a stranger this way if I am around to stop it.”  Another crack rang out around us, her hand slapping my cheek.  Sharp pain stung my pale cheek, heels knocking me to the ground.  

“At least my dad is still alive.” She taunted, ripping the locket from my neck. “I heard he committed suicide.”  Hot salty tears flooded from my eyes, the dirt growing damp beneath.  One of her friends gave her a knock it off look.  The pink haired girl’s fists clenched tightly, a scowl forming on her lips.  

“Go to hell, Susie!” I shouted, leaping back to my feet. “He died from cancer, not suicide. You didn’t have to watch him fade.  Now give me that back!  That is the last thing he ever gave to me.”  She tossed it on the ground, her heel crushing it to pieces.  A scream exploded from my lips, the pink haired girl holding me back.  

“That was stupid of you.” Her voice twanged gently. “I lost my mother to cancer.”  Hot tears soaked my lap, sobs wracking my body.  My boots pounded against the hard ground towards the woods.  She gathered up all of the small pieces, watching me run into the rows of birch trees.  Branches tore my tights, small holes forming in my dress.  Exhausted, my body collapsed onto the largest rock in the woods.  The morning sun sparkled through the leaves, sadness washing over me.  Sobbing, my body laid down in the fetal position.  Cold stone pressed against my throbbing head.  I just wanted my father back, why couldn’t cancer take Susie.  Sweet slumber wrapped her arms around me, gentle darkness enclosing me. 

Jerking awake, the afternoon sun flickered through the leaves.  An icy chill nipped at my skin, my legs leaping off the rocks.  Lily stood in front of me, holding a glittering pink box.  A soft smile danced across my puffy dirty face.  Gingerly, she set it gently in my quivering palm.  My trembling fingers struggled to open it, shock contorting my face.  Hot tears fell from my eyes, my locket was fixed.  She grunted, my arms squeezing nearly the life out of her.  

“How did you do this?” I wept stupidly, looking like the world’s biggest loser. “Thank you so much.”  Lifting my chin, she placed it around my neck. Relief washed over me, my butt collapsing back on the rock.  An owl hooted, his golden eyes looking at me.  His large brown wings spread open, a gentle breeze flowing over us.  His form grew smaller and smaller, a sad smile curling on her lips. 

“I know how you feel.” She said while patting the top of my head. “Tell me about this place.”  Nodding, she plopped down next to me.  Her fingers wrapped around mine,  slight happiness warming me up for the first time in a year.  

“This is where my father and I used to go.” I replied, looking sheepishly at the ground. “That was until the-”  Her arms embraced me, her kindness stopping me in my tracks.  Laughing to herself, she pulled out a pink locket.  

“This is the last thing she ever gave to me.” She explained, handing it to me. “It was hers before she passed away.  Cancer is the real dick here.”  Chuckling to myself, my mother called my name out.  She ran towards me in her blue jeans and peach blouse.  An older male version of Lily followed after us.  

“Thank goodness you two are alright.” She exhaled, wrapping her arms around me. “Is this where you guys would go for hours on end?”  Nodding, tears formed in her eyes.  Lily’s father cleared his throat, all of us looking in his direction.  

“How about we all have some dinner at my place?” He offered warmly. “I make a mean spaghetti sauce.”  A pregnant pause hung awkwardly in the air,  my laughter breaking the silence.  Joy brightened my mother’s eyes, relief washing over her face.  

“Sure.” I answered politely. “You guys go ahead.  I know the way out.”  Nodding, the leaves crunching as they left us alone.  Lily shifted nervously, her hands shaking slightly. 

“Would you be my friend?” I inquired, a crooked grin dancing across my face. “I would love for you to be my best friend.  Who knows we could even become sisters if we play our cards right.” Childish giggles poured from her lips, her arms wrapping around mine.  

“Sure.” She replied, leaping up. “Come on now, we have some spaghetti to get to.”  We walked through the woods, the owl appearing again in the corner of my eyes.  Everything was going to be alright.

February 08, 2022 20:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Moon Lion
20:27 Feb 09, 2022

Very sad, and child bullies are the worst, they literally have no empathy.

Reply

Yvette Francaise
21:04 Feb 11, 2022

The best moment is when you find the one friend who has your back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.