Eternally Screwed

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with someone returning from a trip.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Kenton and I just returned from our little trip to Maine. It was to celebrate his last day of physical therapy since waking up from his coma. He shot down our other suggestions of different countries. He never gave us an exact reason as to refusing to travel abroad, but I didn’t see the need to fight him. Lance had some business in Maine so we followed him. It was supposed to be like a vacation, but Kenton was tense the entire time. He constantly surveyed our surroundings all time, he did a perimeter check of the inn we were staying in every time we returned, and he never left our side when we were out.

Lance didn’t notice it much since he was working. I, on the other hand, knew something was not right. When I told him to act normal, he told me he was. I just dropped it at that. I didn’t want to question him about it and ruin the atmosphere. Now that we were returning, I was definitely going to interrogate everything out of him.

When we finally pulled into the apartment, Kenton proceeded with his perimeter check. Since we were gone for a while, he wanted me to follow him. He was always too careful with such things. I always thought he was just paranoid. We made a full round of the house without anything out of place. I went to the front door to unlock it while Kenton went to unload the car. I put the key in the lock, only to find out that it was already unlocked.

I left the key in the lock and took a frightened step back.

“Oof.” Kenton grunted as my back suddenly hit his chest.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“The door was unlocked.” I told him.

A frown formed on his face as he put our luggage down and grabbed my wrist. He pulled me along to the car.

He removed a case from under the seat. It was a locked case I don’t remember putting there. Kenton took out a key and inserted it before entering a pin. The case unlocked revealing a pistol with a box of bullets.

“Where in the world did that come from?” I yelled at a whispering level.

“From the store.” Kenton answered as he loaded the gun. “Don’t worry, I have my license.” He reassured.

“That’s not the problem here.” I muttered back to him.

“You’re right. The problem is whoever is inside your house.” He said as he situated the gun.

At first I was mad to find out that he was hiding a gun in my own car without my permission. What was wrong with him? Then his last remark finally registered. Did he say ‘is’ as in somebody was still inside my house?

“Wait, how do you know someone is still inside?” I asked him.

“Gut feeling.” He answered.

He closed the door to my car and locked it. He pulled me by my wrist to get behind him. I gripped on to the back of his shirt for comfort as he slowly made his way to the front door.

“Wait, why am I going with you? Shouldn’t I stay outside?” I whispered.

“What if their target is you? I would be practically handing you over on a silver platter.” He whispered back.

Now that I think about it, he had a point. I was most likely safer with him than on my own. If Kenton could pick me up with one hand and toss me over his head to catch me with the other, then I was easy picking. Especially since Kenton’s fingers were all crooked and have difficulty grasping things. As we got closer to the door, my grip on his shirt grew tighter. Whatever was waiting on the other side of the door didn’t sit well with Kenton.

When we finally reached the door, my nerves were shot and Kenton took the safety off. The other lock on the door was unlocked as well. Kenton turned the knob slowly and opened the door. Kenton swiftly held the gun up while I cowered behind him. I expected to hear a gunshot, but all I got was the smell of food. A heavenly aroma actually.

“You sure took your sweet time.” An unfamiliar voice joked.

“Rai?” Kenton called out.

Wait a minute. First he had a gun stashed in my car without my knowledge and now he knows the person who broke into my house? I would choke the man if I had a chair or stool.

I watched Kenton lower his arms and put the gun in the back of his pants. He then motioned me with his hand to follow. We made our way deeper into the house to find this strange man in my kitchen cooking. I wanted to be mad but the food he was cooking was coaxing the saliva to pool in my mouth.

“How did you find me?” Kenton asked as he took a hardened stance.

“Honestly, I wasn’t even looking for you.” Rai shrugged. “I just heard rumors of your survival so I came to see for myself.”

“And what exactly are you going to do since I am indeed alive?” Kenton inquired while he gently took my wrist in his.

“To take you back of course. Business needs to be finished.” Rai replied with an innocent smile.

“What if I don’t want to go back?” Kenton asked.

The room was quiet. The air was tense. I could feel myself shaking to my core.

“Does it have anything to do with the little kid you are protecting behind your back?” Rai asked with mischief lacing his tone.

“Touch him and you aren’t going back either.” Kenton threatened.

I never heard such a tone from Kenton. It sounded so menacing and full of promise. I wanted to peek at what was happening, but my head refused to leave the safety of his back.

“You truly have gone soft. What happened to the terrifying debt collector who even took children as payment?” Rai chuckled.

He did what now?

“That’s my old life. He helped start my new one. By the way, he’s 23.” Kenton entailed.

“I am calling BS! That’s impossible! He’s so tiny!” Rai cackled.

Okay, I don’t like him one bit. It’s all Kenton’s fault, he makes me look smaller.

“Rai, you owe me. Just tell them it was just a rumor and I’m dead.” Kenton reminded.

“That may be true, but I need evidence you are dead. You know that’s how we work.” Rai reminded.

Kenton clicked his tongue. The room was quiet again. This might not be the best time, but it seemed like the only chance I would get.

“Kenton, what is he talking about?” I asked him as I yanked on his shirt.

Rai started laughing up another storm.

“Shut up or I am gutting you where you stand.” Kenton threatened.

“Don’t go threatening me when you messed up. Why don’t you explain it over lunch?” Rai scolded.

“Like I would trust you.” Kenton grunted.

“When do I ever make one meal when I drug someone?” Rai asked. “I made four different dishes to prove I wouldn’t.” He muttered with his arms crossed.

Kenton still didn’t ease up.

“Fine, if cutey so much as feels queasy after eating a bit, then you can shoot me.” Rai offered.

I couldn’t believe the bet he made so I peeked from behind Kenton. He was smiling. His hand was extended and he seemed confident in the wager he proposed. Who exactly is this guy?

“Without hesitation.” Kenton promised.

Then Kenton extended his own hand and they shook on their agreement. Was there really a chance the food was poisoned. If so why was I the wager? Kenton pulled me to the table where four dishes were perfectly arranged. The food looked delicious. If it was going to be my last at least I ate good food.

Kenton took the gun out from his pants and put it on the table without removing his hand from it. I took a seat when he did and watched the man in front of us. He was the same build as Kenton but less scars on his arms. His hair was a darker shade of brown than Kenton’s and his nose was straighter than Kenton’s as well. There was a single scar on his cheek, but it wasn’t very prominent.

I was pulled from my thoughts when a plate was placed in front of me. It was filled with all the different dishes. Rai watched me with his elbows propped on the table and his chin resting on his hands. Kenton was watching me with concern in his eyes. His left hand was readily holding the gun while his right hand rested on the back of my chair.

“If you have the slightest ill feeling, you better tell me.” Kenton pleaded.

“If you are so concerned why am I the determining factor?” I asked them.

“Ken and I built up an immunity to the drugs I utilize.” Rai answered with a bright smile.

“Okay. Before I die though, can you just tell me what all this is about?” I requested as I looked at Kenton.

“You’re not going to die.” Rai sang in an all knowing tone.

“Like I can trust your word.” Kenton and I protested simultaneously.

“You two are banging aren’t you?” Rai asked with a raised eyebrow and smirk on his face.

“The only thing I want to bang is your head against the kitchen tile.” Kenton growled out.

Kenton must have forgotten of my impatient nature.

“Kenton, explain or I am shoving every block of cheese I can get my hands on down your throat.” I threatened.

“He’s threatening your life, but you are threatening me?” Kenton questioned.

He is the only person I have ever met who hates cheese with a passion. Not even melted on pizza or in bread rolls. The man is a walking freak of nature.

“Just hurry up and tell him so he can eat. I could hear his stomach growling since you guys walked in.” Rai rushed.

Kenton let out a long sigh and leaned back in the chair. He explained everything to me. I couldn’t wrap my head around any of it. I had an inkling that he was a body guard, but not in the mafia. I didn’t peg him to be the head guard to the gang leader. I didn’t expect him to be a debt collector who sold children either. I always felt safe with him. I failed to sense any type of danger when I was with him. It didn’t make any sense.

“I couldn’t do it anymore so I let the children go. They caught me and sentenced me to death for treason. I was beaten for a number of days and tortured. Then I was stuck in darkness and woke up in the hospital.” Kenton explained.

I remember that day. I was talking on the phone with Lance who beat me to the hospital. He was telling me to hurry up, but went silent. The next thing I heard was that Kenton was awake and I nearly slipped in my bathroom to get ready. When I got there he was eating and knew my name before I even spoke.

After that I was always with him. During his following appointments, his physical therapy, mental therapy, everything. I got to know Kenton and learned that he was a self-less and thoughtful man. Though most of his life he wasn’t, hearing of his past doesn’t make a difference to me. I don’t understand my feelings, but I believe Kenton when he says that it was his old self who did all of those dreadful things. He deserves a second chance to live free of his past.

“So what’s going to happen if the food really isn’t poisoned?” I asked Rai before clearing my itchy throat.

“I’m going to have to take him back. I’ll leave you out of the story since I owe him, but that covers my debt.” Rai answered.

“You’re gonna go aren’t you?” I asked Kenton as I peered up at him.

“If it will keep you safe.” Kenton tried to reassure me with a smile.

I sighed then looked down to the food. I filled the spoon and scooped a good amount into my mouth. It was delicious, but also a strange taste. A sensation I never tasted before.

“I told you, no drugs.” Rai confirmed.

I watched Kenton release his tight hold on the gun. Then I started to feel sick.

“N-nauseous.” I murmured.

I heard Kenton fumble with the gun. Then it started getting harder to breathe. I dropped my spoon and felt my lips. They were swollen which meant my tongue was swelling up. It wasn’t poisoned. It had oregano and thyme. I heard a sudden noise, but couldn’t focus on it as the blood rushed to my ears and my chest tightened. I could feel my shoulders shaking, but couldn’t hear much.

I pulled at my throat to try to tell him that I couldn’t breathe. Then I remembered that I didn’t tell him about my allergies. I frantically patted my pants for my epipen. When I finally got it out my vision was not trustworthy. The next thing I knew, the epipen was out of my hand and I felt the injection in my leg. My airways were cleared and I took non constricted breaths of needed air. Arms wrapped around my body, they gave me this sense of security.

When I finally got the strength to open my eyes I see Kenton looking down at me. I could feel his hand caressing the side of my face.

“W-hat h-ha-pp…” I tried.

“I would like to know the same thing.” Kenton replied as he brushed back some of my hair with his fingers.

Before I could try to speak again. I felt something drip onto my arm. I tried to turn my head to see what spilled. I was screwed again if it was the food. I hate dealing with rashes. When I laid my eyes on the liquid, I felt drained. It was blood.

“B-l-o-o-” I tried to say.

“I thought he poisoned you.” Kenton explained his actions.

I let my head fall back. He just killed a guy for no reason and it was all my fault. We are both eternally screwed. 

June 05, 2020 15:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jubilee Forbess
03:55 Jun 26, 2020

Wow, very compelling start to a story! I liked the way it was narrated. :)

Reply

Rawn A Lynn
08:55 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.