The building walls of lies and deceit

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone who’s famous for something they never actually did.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama

On a cold night, i sat at the corner of my room cold and pale as several thoughts ran into my head. Then i quickly recalled on an incident that happened at school as i recalled on the incident .I began to get furious at Amilia my childhood friend at least lets say she was.

It all happened at art class , when our art class teacher Mrs pickle weather said she had an announcement to make ,she said a painting contest was coming up and the best painter gets their painting hung in the school hallway and gets a statue that best defines their work of art in the school hallway.And she also said we can work together.

After school ,I told Amilia my best friend to come to my house to come and work on the painting at my house because i believed 2 hands are better than 1. ''You know i'm not any good at painting i rather not try at all than to try and fail'' said Amilia. It was at that moment i decided to ask her why she entered the contest when she didn't want to work hard she said she want to be remembered in history . that was when i knew i had to show her the ropes of success . I told her that every hard work comes with a prize.

We ate some lunch at my place, after that i asked amilia why she was afraid of failing by not trying at all she said she wasn't afraid and i didn't want to bring an argument up so i told her to always put in her best efforts no matter what happens.And she kept discouraging me by saying what's the point in trying when you know you're going to fail.

Meanwhile , I was trying to figure out what we should paint for the contest. Amilia left me to work all by myself while she played around the house which got me really upset with her. I asked why she didn't help me with the paintings for the contest she said she didn't even want to join the contest knowing fully well as her friend i wanted to just tell her is better to try than not try at all. She left my house angrily saying she doesn't want to be in my group and in fact doesn't even want to be my friend anymore if i was going to be a nerd. And i replied by saying i don't want to be friends with someone who is lazy and expecting a prize without hard work. Later at night, i finally finished my painting then i placed my painting outside for it to dry.

I was so mad 😣when i woke up the next morning . My painting was no where to be found , i decided to investigate the mystery of my missing painting and i had little time left to investigate because the art contest was today!😴then i was really freaking out . The first people i asked if they took my painting were my parents but they said they didn't take it and they didn't even know there was a painting contest . Then i suspected the last person that would steal a painting especially from me of course i said to myself it would be no other person than Amilia turner.

Quickly, i realized i was getting late for the contest that took place in the school hall. i quickly got to the school and ran violently to the school hall, and i was right. Amilia stole my painting and she was presenting my painting as hers. But my name wasn't written on the painting so i could not prove it was mine .But i said to myself i wouldn't let her go unpunished.

Everyone loved Amilia's painting or should i say mine. they began to ask her so many questions about the painting she continued telling lies . I angrily dragged Amilia out of the curious crowd I asked her why she stole my painting ''Its so much easier not doing the work myself'' said Amilia .I began to loose my temper . I marched up to the stage angrily to tell everyone that Amilia's painting was actually mine.But nobody believed me they all said i should prove it but i couldn't .Amilia then came up to the stage to say i was a liar and jealous. she told everyone many lies and continued to deceive them . Mrs pickle weather said for her prize she would have the painting hung on the wall. An a statue that defines her work of art would be in the school hall way.

After that announcement, I realized i still had a little time to prove to everyone she didn't make that painting because i feel its wrong to live on another persons success and be famous for what you didn't do.

A week later,when the whole school wanted to hang the painting in the hallway .I told them all to let Amilia paint a masterpiece in front of the whole school .But she continued to lie to save herself and the lies kept piling up but Mrs pickle weather and the other students agreed with me for amilia to paint in front of everyone. As soon as she was given all the materials needed to paint a masterpiece she froze on one spot cold with her body shaking and breathing out loud .That was when everyone knew she was lying.

And instead of building a statue for her they made a small wall and at the front of it they wrote: THE GREAT WALL OF LIES AND DECEIT.No one understood that sign except I . The wall meant that when you tell a lie you need more lies to cover up and it turns into piles from piles they turn into walls. Amlia's legacy was ruined . I walked up to Amilia and said its better to try than never.And in history up till date Amilia turner was known as a liar, theif and a deceiver and her family and her legacy was ruined

Lesson learnt: Don't live on another persons success because we don't know what history holds back at us and when you tell a single lie you need more lies to cover up.

THE END.

September 03, 2020 22:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.