2 comments

Fiction

To my future self, Marisol

I don't know how the future came out for us. I hope it came out great. I hope you are having a lot of good times. We had great times during our younger years.

I hope the future turned out better fo us, better than the past. Remembering the past is easy and I sure do hope you remember our past.

Remember all the good times we had. The summers we spent with our family and friends. The vacations we took.

Remember even the bad times. The lost friends, the lost family members, the lost jobs.

Writing this letter, I don't want to dwell on the bad times, but reflect on the good times.

What I want to take away from this letter is how good of a life we led, but OI also want you or should I say me, to take away from this letter is the times we lived in.

There was good times in this country filled with people ready to fight for what they believed in, but also this country was filled with people who wanted to take away everything people like us fought for.

I hope, I pray we lived long enough to see our grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up to be amazing people filled with beliefs just as strong as ours and I hope that you will read this letter to them so they can know who their grandmother was.

So, I want to begin this letter with who we are as a person with our strong beliefs in humanity.

Do you remember everything we fought for? All the causes we were apart of? We fought for amazing things. To change the world just like the people who came before us.

Our most passionate cause fighting for the rights of the LGBTQ community. Do you remember how tirelessly we fought for their rights to get healthcare, the right to get married and the right to get a job?

Marisol, that was the best time we ever had, meeting so many wonderful people, making life long friends, changing the world and I hope we are still friends with Kay and Zavier.

Kay and Zavier, wow, they were just as passionate as we were. I smile and laugh at all the times we had protesting and the sleepless nights we spent coming up with new ideas.

Do you remember another cause we fought so passionately about?

We fought so hard for our government to ensure our streets were safe and our children were safe to walk the streets without fear of being shot.

Gun Control was one of those causes where it was hard to get things done, we never gave up the fight.

I hope Marisol that in whatever time you are reading this letter that Gun Control is indeed stricter, that the streets are safe and our kids are safe.

We fought for a lot of amazing causes and I hope you are continuing the fight in the future and show the future generations to never give up and always fight for what they believe in.

Next thing I want to write about is our family and friends. The fun times we had.

What great times we had with our family. Mom cooking in the kitchen, singing so badly we had to put cotton balls in our ears.

Us Marisol, dad, Molly, Summer and Chase laughed at mom's singing. Mom joined in and started laughing. This was the best part of our family. We sit down, eat dinner and laugh at ourselves.

Dad, he was just the most incredible father. He always supported us in whatever we wanted to do.

Do you remember the time we told dad about joining in the fight for social justice?

He told us "The world couldn't ask for a better person to join the fight." We cried tears of happiness. Mom was just as supportive as dad.

I hope Marisol that you are telling our grandchildren about their great grandparents.

Molly, Summer, and Chase, what can I say about them? The best brother and sisters anyone can ask for.

We had crazy times together. We did crazy things together. Remember when we put itching powder in the cheerleaders clothes or when we super glued the principle to his chair.

Those were great times, fun times. I miss our younger years, but I know we grew up to be incredible people.

I hope when you are reading this letter that Molly, Summer and Chase are with you still getting into all kinds of trouble.

The summer vacations we took were outrageous. Our mother once told us "You four kids are going to give me a heart attack doing all these crazy things."

Molly told mom "If we stopped doing these crazy things, we will live boring lives and be boring people." Mom just laughed.

So, we went on doing crazy things. Mom and dad went with us. Although they didn't come with us our crazy adventures, they were happy to be together and with us.

Our best friends Blake, Asher, Alyssa, and Claire always came with us. We went white water rafting, rock climbing and so many other cray things.

Alyssa and Claire our oldest and closes friends. We grew up together in the same neighborhood, went to the same school all the way through high school. I hope we kept in touch and are still the very best of friends in the future.

Blake and Asher's friendship came about in the worst way you can imagine. Do you remember how?

Chase, our younger brother was being bullied. Us Marisol, Molly, and Summer never knew chase was being bullied until the day Blake and Asher came to Chase's rescue.

It was after school we were walking outside of the building when we saw a large crowd cheering and yelling. Marisol, we didn't know what was going so we along with Molly, Summer, Alyssa and Claire went to go see what was happening and to our horror there was Chase surround by the school bullies.

Those school bullies shall not be named in my letter. We tried to cut through the crowd. So did Molly, Summer, Alyssa and Claire, but we couldn't get through.

That is when we heard two voices yelling at the bullies to stop. Then the crowd stopped cheering and yelling and we were able to get to chase.

Chase was on the ground bleeding and in tears. Blake and Asher ran the bullies and the crowd off.

Blake and Asher introduce themselves to us and told us "Chase will be protected. No one will ever mess with him again."

Blake and Asher were true heroes and I hope they continued to be the heroes I know they are in the future.

Chase being bullied is one of those bad times I don't like to remember.

What else can I write in this letter that you don't already know?

We were great Marisol. We had a great family and great friends. We had a great life.

This letter is not just a reflection of our life, but a testament to who we are as a person and whoever we share our life with will know how strong and fearless we are.

Never stop believing in yourself. Continues to do great things and continue to change the world.

Always remember never give up the fight.

From Marisol in the past to Marisol in the future.

Always forever.

May 19, 2022 20:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John K Adams
13:50 May 27, 2022

This reads like an actual letter from the past to the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Etya Krichmar
22:15 May 25, 2022

Nice story, Melinda. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.