0 comments

Fiction

Title             :              Sunset Blues

Name of author     :        Lydia Mensah.

Word count     :                1494

Number of pages       :   6

Phone numbers          :     +23320 7238235/ +23354285822

Email                         :       esthermode005@gmail.com

 It was exactly at the same time at sunset this day that her husband decided to leave the house. She had just purchased the car he asked her not to. It was too expensive and he was running low on funds. His only reaction was to give in to his impertinence. It was long overdue. Was it that necessary to engage in a battle between the sexes and lose their friendship? Something they had built on for so many years? Could he not find it in his heart to forgive her? It’s been years since he left in anger and never turned back. Though she does not want to remember the bitter argument, the only thing that reminds her of him is the cool orange sunset. They had been happy since that morning only to be separated by the messenger from the car company to innocently requested that he append his signature to a few papers she had forgotten to sign.so nice to her from morning to evening. Today was the exact date two years ago since he walked out on her.

She lit a candle, put it all around her and mentioned his name several times. Perhaps he would hear it wherever he was and return to her. It should yield results since she has persistently practiced this act every evening until she went to bed. She would never stop mourning her loss. No one could compare to her Kweku Rich. As she let down her guard and allowed a tear or two to fall down her cheeks, a hand wiped the tear off her face. She looked up. It was him. She was startled.

“I know why you are so startled,” he said. “Allow me to tell you my tale.” Who would be patient enough to hear a tale when there was such grief in her heart? She was still bitter. How would she listen to him?

“I didn’t want to lose you,” he said. “You know how much I love you.” She just stared at him, bemused. How could he have put her to the test for two years just because he loved her? Who would be crazy enough to do that? What if she had gone in for another man?

Would he come back telling her such stories? She didn’t know what to believe anymore. She would be very naive to believe such a tale coming from a man she can no longer trust.

“Would you forgive me?” he said at the end. She didn’t even hear the latter part of it. She was list in her world.

“I’m human,” she said. “I now have doubts about your integrity.” She had hit the nail right on the head.

“I don’t expect you to forgive me,” he said shamefacedly. “I only want you to find it in your heart to forgive me.”

“What’s the difference?” she asked.

He was already on his knees, holding hers’ together. The warmth alone from his touch softened her a little bit.

“That’s the difference”, he said, and rose to hold her hand. She brushed it aside. He understood that she was trying to pull his legs. He would take her for granted if she gave in so easily.

At this point, she didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. His tale was too good to be true. She looked up at him. He couldn’t look straight into her eyes.

“And you expect me to believe you?” she asked emphatically. “I don’t”

 “I must be going then,” he said. “I came to show myself and to ask for forgiveness. If it’s too much for you, here’s my contact number. Do give me a call when you’re ready.” She looked up at him, disappointed and said: “Sit down for a while and I will show you something in a jiffy.” He sat down, not knowing what to expect. As soon as he sat down, she began by saying: “There was once a woman who knew no sorrow because she found the love of her life.

She gave her heart, soul and being to the relationship and held on to it as if everything depended on it. It was her treasure, her joy and her everything.

Unfortunately, the love of her life did not see from the same viewpoint. He was reckless, heartless and ruthless. In short, he broke her heart, brought her untold sorrow and pain. He disregarded her resolve though she held on to it. Do you think she was right in doing so?” Kweku Rich looked up at her. He knew she was talking about the two of them. Surely, he had broken her heart, but would she find it in the tiniest piece to forgive him so they could start all over again? She looked up at him when she was done, and said: “I know what’s on your mind.” “She must hold on to what she once had, mustn’t she?” He nodded.

“And so must you!” jumping up to stress on her point. “You said I was your world, that you would never hurt me, that you would treasure me,” she yelled. “Just look at what you did to me!” He shook his head. She held his collar.

“Now tell me,” she said. “Am I not a good woman to punch you in the face?” staring at him squarely from eyeball to eyeball. The man was petrified and felt like sinking into his shoes, yet it was not possible. He had to face this no matter how many times he ran away. He did it once, but it did not succeed. This woman was one of a kind. This was a side of her he never knew but he could not blame her. He had turned her into a wild animal ready to devour its prey. Would he stay or leave?

“Because of you, I’ve been staring at the sunset ever since you left,” she said. “It is an illusion. It seems like it will stay but it is only a shadow. It is a reflection. The real thing goes into oblivion whilst the shadow takes the glory. After sunset, we do find and cement our love, most of the times. You showed me so much love, but at this same time, you broke my heart. You left your shadow!” As soon as she said ‘shadow’, a little girl came running into her arms.  “Mummy!”

She embraced her so tightly that it seemed no one could separate them, but after a while, she let go of her and said: “Come and sign my homework for me”.

“I will be with you soon, my darling,” she replied.

“I’ll be waiting….” Making faces at her and sizing up Kweku Rich.

“And who is this man?” she asked.

“I will be with you soon, baby,” she said. “We need to talk.”

Kweku Rich left her for a moment and allowed her to have a talk with her supposed daughter.

“I’m here, baby,” she said. “What did you want to know?”

“You were talking to a man earlier on,” she said. “Has he left?”

“He’s still around,” she replied.

“What does he want?” she asked

“He has come on a visit,” she said.

“That’s much better,” she said. “I thought he was coming to stay.” She quickly rushed out to see Kweku Rich still waiting patiently. It was almost nightfall  and he no longer had the patience to wait. As he asked leave of her, she lamented about how he had left the same way and never came back. He was stuck to the same spot because she whined incessantly. He was in a dilemma just like herself. Was the little girl his? And if she was, when was she born?

Should he tell her the real reason for leaving? He sat down beside her. Perhaps, it was time to come clean. There should be no secrets between them. If he set a good example, she would follow suit, and who knows? It could be the beginning of a fruitful reconciliation.

“I left because I wanted to find more money to buy more expensive things for you,” he said. She turned towards him.

“Did you love me that much?” he asked.

“Sure I do,” he replied.

 “What are you trying to tell me?” she asked.

“That I love you,” he said.

“How are you going to explain that to your daughter?” she said. “She has grown without a father. I have had to be telling her stories.”

“Allow me,” he said. When Oforiwaa came around, he picked her up and put her on his lap. He told her so many stories that she wanted to hear more of them. It was too late to return to where he came from and has never desired to go back again.

June 25, 2021 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.