0 comments

Fiction Drama Friendship

In the center of St. Ambrose Park, there was a majestic Dogwood tree. In the spring, the tree was adorned with gorgeous white flowers. Under the shade of the tree, there was a bed of thick mulch. There was a bench under the tree that curves around the trunk of the tree. The bench and shade provided the perfect location to just sit and think.

               Greg was having a bad day. He got up late. His old Malibu took its own sweet time turning over. Traffic was terrible driving to the office. By the time he arrived at the office, his assistant Gene had a pile of messages already stacked on his desk. In fact, his phone was ringing as he walked in the door of his corner office. “Greg Chevez,” Greg muttered out of breath.

               “Great, Greg, you’re in. I need the latest numbers on the Wilson job in 30 minutes. That won’t be a problem, will it?” Greg’s supervisor questioned.

               Wincing at the thought of doing the last crunching of the numbers on the report, Greg replied, “Umm. I’ll get right on it. ASAP.”

               “I knew I could count on you,” bellowed Greg’s supervisor into the receiver.

               And all that happened in just the first five minutes he was in the office. That’s how the whole morning went—one call, one demand after another. By noon, Greg was mentally frazzled. He needed some air. He grabbed his lunch and walked over to St. Ambrose Park. He walked a little way and found his favorite spot to sit under the familiar Dogwood tree. Greg pulled out his sandwich, took a deep breath, and just took in the view and amazing scents from the flowers and budding trees all around him. By the time his lunch hour was over, Greg felt refreshed and renewed. He looked up at the flowering Dogwood tree and gave it a salute before heading back to the office.

               Maddy had so much on her mind. She was walking almost haphazardly down the street and into St. Ambrose Park. When she saw the bench resting under the flowering Dogwood Tree, she knew it was there waiting for her. After Maddy sat down, she closed her eyes and tried not to even think. That was not possible. She had to decide if she was going to take the mission trip to the Philippines or move to Dallas to work with the homeless population there. Both options were good, and she had friends doing both trips. Which trip was God’s calling? Keeping her eyes closed, she envisioned a big chart with the pros and cons for both options. In the end, Maddy blinked twice and then opened her eyes. By looking at the chart, she thought the best decision was to go to Dallas. She could make the best use of her skills there. Besides, she wasn’t having much luck raising the funds she needed to go to the Philippines. Before walking away, Maddy put her arms around the Dogwood’s trunk. “Thank you,” she whispered and blew the tree a kiss.

               Katie and Paul walked toward the Dogwood tree in St. Ambrose Park, each coming down different paths. They approached the tree about the same time. As they sat on the bench wrapped around the tree’s trunk, they grabbed each other’s hands. “It’s so good to see you,” beamed Katie.

               “Oh, my love, I have missed you,” Paul replied with true affection glistening in his eyes.

               The two lovebirds sat just holding hands for several minutes before either spoke again. This tree was their secret spot. They could meet there, and no one would see them. No one would try to break them apart. No one would tell them they couldn’t be together. They usually did not talk much because it hurt too much to know they couldn’t have a future together until Katie turned 21. The six months left seemed like FOREVER!

               After about an hour, Paul and Katie stood to leave. They gave each other a hug, and with tears, Katie pulled away and headed back up the path she came from. As she left, Paul noticed Katie’s handkerchief on the ground. He picked it up with care. He would have taken it with him, but her initials—KL—were embroidered in one corner. If anyone found it in his room, he risked being disowned. Sadly, he carefully placed Katie’s handkerchief on the bench and slowly left.

               Greg’s afternoon went much better than his morning. He was in such high spirits; he decided to grab a cold lemonade and return to St. Ambrose Park. He sat on his favorite bench under the Dogwood tree to enjoy his sweet treat. After a few sips, he noticed the dainty handkerchief sitting on the opposite side of the bench. It was pale pink, was bordered in delicate lace, and had the initials “KL” on it. Greg held onto the handkerchief for a few moments, wondering about the story behind it. After he finished his lemonade, Greg folded up the handkerchief and left it where he found it.

               The next morning, Maddy decided to visit her favorite tree in St. Ambrose Park before heading to work at the coffee shop. She sat on the bench around the Dogwood tree. Even more blooms were out this morning. A folded pink object on the bench caught her eye. Maddy gingerly picked it up. It was a handkerchief. She unfolded it and admired the lace edging and beautifully embroidered letters—KL. The delicate pink fabric was moist. Was it from the dew or tears? Maddy wondered. Not wanting the precious handkerchief to get ruined from mildew, she decided to take it home to wash. Maddy carefully tucked it in a pocket of her purse and rushed off to the coffee shop.

               Late that afternoon, Katie and Paul found their way to their special bench by the Dogwood tree in St. Ambrose Park. They were so happy to see each other. When they sat down, Paul looked around the bench. “Yesterday, you left your handkerchief here. I don’t see it here,” he revealed.

               “Oh, I wondered what happened to it when I got home?” Katie added. “It was my favorite one, but I guess a bird or animal grabbed it for a nest.”

               Paul and Katie were just sitting holding hands when Greg walked up to the bench. “Oh, hello. I see you also enjoy the shade under this gorgeous tree. This is one of my favorite places to come and just sit and relax.”

               At first Katie and Paul worried that their secret spot was found, and then realized this man meant no harm. “It is lovely here. There is plenty of room. Please have a seat,” Katie suggested.

               As Greg thanked them and sat down on the bench, Maddy walked up the path toward the Dogwood tree. “Oh, my, it looks like this isn’t just MY favorite spot in the park.”

               “It’s a great spot to just sit and relax away from stress,” Greg replied.

               “And it’s perfect to just sit together and dream,” Paul added.

               “Plus, it’s nice to just sit out in nature to figure out plans,” Maddy chimed in as she snuck into an open spot between Greg and Paul.

               The four strangers sat in silence for quite a while, each comfortable just absorbing the beauty around them. No one spoke, but they all were content.

               Suddenly, Maddy jumped up from the bench and blurted, “Oh, maybe this belongs to one of you.” She carefully took out the delicate pink handkerchief from her purse. After work, she had gone home to wash and press it.

               “You found it! Yes, that is my precious handkerchief my grandmother made me,” Katie revealed. “Thank you for taking such good care of it.”

               “It was so beautiful, I couldn’t just leave it on the bench,” answered Maddy.

               “I saw it here yesterday after work. I didn’t know whose it was, so I just left it here. I’m glad you kept it safe to bring it back to its owner,” Greg said.

               Katie piped in, “I thought it was lost. I had planned to carry it with me at my wedding.” Katie blushed.

               Greg spoke up, “I wondered if you two were married or dating.”

               Paul explained, “We hope to marry as soon as Katie turns 21. Our families forbade us from being together, hoping we would eventually break apart. This is our secret meeting place. Once Katie turns 21, we will both be adults and do not have to live by our families’ rules.”

               Katie was quick to add, “As soon as I am 21, we are going to whisk off to the Philippines. My paternal grandmother lives there, and she has promised to help us arrange a wedding and secure employment for both of us.”

               “Oh, that is so romantic! I was going to go on a three-year mission trip to the Philippines, but I have not been able to raise enough money to fund the three years,” Maddy shared.

               The four sat in silence for a little while. Greg knew one of the reasons his work was unsatisfying for him was that he just kept making money without doing anything good with it. A thought came to his mind—may be helping someone else work to fulfill her dreams and see how they progressed would bring him some satisfaction and joy.

               Greg finally came up with a plan: “I know you don’t know me, and I don’t know you, but I would like to help make your dreams come true. I would like to fund your missionary work.”

               “Are you serious? That would be amazing!” Maddy exclaimed.

               As the group of strangers spoke and soon became friends, they learned that Maddy’s missionary headquarters was near Katie’s grandmother’s village. They all planned to stay in touch. Greg decided he was due for a vacation and planned to go to the Philippines to attend Paul and Katie’s wedding and to spend a week serving at Maddy’s mission.

               What started out as a lonely bench under a tree, soon became a spot of respite for four strangers who soon became friends and changed each other’s lives.

April 20, 2021 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.