1 comment

Science Fiction

When I was ten I created the Inverse Ionic Engine (IIE).  An engine the size of a lawnmower yet having the ability to reach speeds nearing the speed of light or, in layman’s terms, two hundred ninety nine miles per second.  It was an astonishing accomplishment for someone my age and yet I felt no elation.  

The solution to manufacture this engine came to me as if it would a normal five year old adding one and one together to make two. I was an abnormality and at age twelve began my isolation from human interaction and devoted my time entirely to one purpose-leaving Earth.

In the years to come I submersed myself so much in my work I began to lose my identity.  I no longer was the little girl called Mary O. Donovan, but a blend of Einstein,  Tesla and so many other scientists who came before me.  Formulas and equations poured into my mind at such incredible speed I fear I’ve probably have lost two to three percent of them.  And within those two to three percent margins perhaps have lost the key to cure cancer, leukemia or any other number of diseases that could have changed mankind.  I was helpless.  I had no control over how or why these mathematical equations came to me, they just did. 

At fifteen years of age I came to accept my chosen path. I began to brush aside my emotions and began to concentrate on the numerous postulations, theories,  concepts and hypothesis flooding my brain.  I wanted out. I wanted to use what was given to me and escape from a world I saw each day begin to decay and revert back to the barbarism of the cave man. 

At sixteen I enhanced the IIE( I’ll drop down to basic physics level)  to consume atoms and spit them out as pure energy thus increasing the speed to over three hundred thousand miles per second.  I kept this marvel advancement to myself.  Even at such an early age I realized if the government of any country knew what I was doing I would be hunted down and held prisoner or worse, tortured, to release my plans and design.  

What I had going for me was my age,  my supreme intellect and my ability to scavenge materials I needed innocuously.  I was so to speak, ‘under the government’s radar.’

I won’t get into the details as to the ‘how’ behind my ability to camouflage my work for so long because I find it unnecessary at this moment to divulge those efforts.  What is paramount is, I did it.

By the time I was twenty I had developed an organic vessel after six years of genetic manipulation of cellular construction that would not only withstand the rigors of traveling through space at such tremendous speeds but also have the ability to reproduce vital outer and inner shell components as needed.  The vessel's exoskeleton resembled the hard casing similar to a tortoise's shell yet with slight modifications. Within its composition the shell was capable of absorbing not only sunlight but the various radiation levels that at times traveled through space. Its oval shape provided an excellent reflective shield from space debris such as various bits of meteoroids. Once we attained a speed of over one hundred miles per second the exoskeleton by way of molecular manipulation reformed and stretched out to become thinner until forming a thread like appearance that was over two miles long. The vessel was my most stellar accomplishment. To think I was able to genetically manipulate organic material in such a way that the living cell could reproduce in the vacuum of space amazed even myself.  I defied logic and man’s long time theory of needing a craft constructed of various Earth metals  to travel the infinite expanse of space though I must say they were pretty close in the year thirty one zero two with their combined carbon fiber and teflon method.  Enough bragging. 

I knew that the engine I installed would literally make no sound as it lifted off.  Air was not my enemy. Detection was. The engine and structure of my craft gave off no heat signature. Sonar waves, radio waves, heat recognition systems or the new air wave disruption radar systems now being used, could not track the organic material of the IIE-ONE (the name I gave my beautiful invention for she is not only beautiful but a work of art)  or by the processes of the engine power created by the obstruction of atoms cooled with a energized plasma flow. 

I’m getting off track.  

What you (the three governmental bodies I deemed intelligent enough to comprehend the scope of my mission) are receiving is a copy of my initial high frequency burst of data I’ve sent  to Dr. J. Henry Jacobs, Director of the Earth’s Command Space Center (ECSC).  Within this burst are my detailed plans of construction for the IIE, my formulas for genetic and DNA reconstruction of  the ship and of the human body.  

Our destination is a planet I’ve named  ORION-THREE, an Earth like planet within the ZIOS system and one I’ve been watching for over ten years.  We’ll reach this planet in ten years from today, July twenty fourth, thirty six, forty three. As I am twenty nine in Earth terms I’ll be one hundred and twenty nine when we land on ZIOS.  Yes, one hundred Earth years will have passed since our initial take off though  our actual travel time, traveling at our optimized speed will have consumed a little more than ten Earth years.  Once landed I will send my final data burst in care of Doctor Jacobs since upon receipt he will have expired. 

Within this burst will be  the final design to complete the IIE.  

I don’t trust Earth or its people and therefore did not include any data on the location of the ZIOS system or of ORION-THREE.  I’ve come to recognize humans as barbaric in nature and after so many thousands of years of existence on Earth remain so and thus my intentional omission of the complete IIE design and of my future destination.  However,  having some hope the people of Earth will come to recognize the benefit of mutual co-habitation and become a species solely dedicated to obtaining peace indifferent to race, creed, color or faith, I’ve decided to give Earth the same chance I have of creating a new world.  For this reason as my journey progresses I’ve arranged for  a series of beacons to be jettisoned at exact intervals that, if followed, will lead those astronauts to another Earth like planet I discovered two years ago and have named PHOENIX ONE  which lives within a similar system as ZIOS.  Actually, both planets and star systems are nearly identical in atmosphere, water, organic life, distance from their sun and very close in size.  The co-ordinates for the first beacon I will jettison are hereby included.  One warning.  Do not deviate from the instructions I’ve given you. 

Included in this burst are the seven names of those humans I’ve chosen to accompany me and how to contact their families.  Five woman and two men including myself.  Each from various countries and nationalities.  Each highly intelligent in a field I’ve deemed essential in creating a virgin human existence on ZIOS.  

As I dictate this, my last contact with Earth for decades, I wish the people of Earth well.  I will keep my end of the bargain I’ve previously outlined within this burst.  

Ten minutes ago I self- injected a serum which will slowly change the physical make up of my body to allow it to adapt to the incredible speeds IIE-ONE will achieve within minutes.  I injected other members of this journey  twenty minutes ago.  They have successfully reached their new form which allows them to survive without the necessity of being placed in the conventional stasis bed.  This burst contains how to achieve such transformation.  

I can feel the subtle morphing of my physical structure as the serum begins to consume cells and reformat them.    

Again, I wish Earth well. 

"End dictation. Send transmission."


October 05, 2020 18:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Unknown User
07:03 Oct 11, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.